Exercise & Weight Gain

Cassie W.
on 8/15/08 9:48 am
Over the last six months, the scale has been slowly moving upwards even with the intensity of my workouts.  At first, I chalked it up to an increase in muscle mass.  But, the creeping was starting to accelerate. 

So, the last two weeks, I decided to really focus on my eating habits and journal every morsel of food that passed my lips.  Just the first day was an eyeopener.   In an effort to assure that I had plenty of fuel for my workouts, I was grazing more than I realized.  

By spending the extra time journaling and planning my meals these two weeks, I've been able to lose 4 of the 7 pounds that I gained . . . and still have the energy to train.  I think I will always need this periodic reality check to fine-tune my eating plan.  It's so easy for things to get out of balance.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Rob S.
on 8/15/08 10:07 am - DE
I found the same thing.  Luckily I have kept the grazing at bay.  But I have found that the more running I do in a week, the larger the appetite.  I need to stay within 2600-3200 calories to keep my weight from gaining or losing.  Journaling is great, to help you realize where you are even when your years out.  Congratulions on getting things back under control.  I'm still struggling with finding some additional high-energy carbs to add to my meals.
Rob
Linn D.
on 8/15/08 2:19 pm - Missoula, MT
I totally understand, Cassie.  When I was training for my marathon last year, I gained 5 pounds.  Haven't been able to take them off until I decided to write down everything I put in my mouth.  It only took a week writing it down to start losing it back and I'm now back below 155 again.  Even 4+ years out I wonder if it's possible to get to 145.  I might actively pursue it because I'm thinking it might be easier on my body if I were just that much lighter.  But, like you said, I will have to actively watch every morsel and I've never really done that in all these years post op.

I am, however, looking at my diet more in the light of performance and recovery as I pursue more lofty goals.  I think it's going to be very important especially at my advanced age!

Linn
wjoegreen
on 8/16/08 2:28 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Youlook pretty dang good for one so ancient,....advanced age??????
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Linn D.
on 8/16/08 3:12 pm - Missoula, MT
Thanks Joe!

I'm always surprised and appreciative when I hear those things.  I'm often mistaken for early 30's and I'm 42.  Over 40 is pretty advanced to a lot of folks you know...

Linn
wjoegreen
on 8/16/08 3:33 pm, edited 8/16/08 3:34 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Yeah, I hear ya,...at 51 and jogging, my kids are like you should be closing in on an a wheel chair and we can't keep up with you.  Talk about motivation besides being able to jog and how good it makes me feel.  Yep,... the old fart is going to take this ride as long as the body allows it.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 8/16/08 3:41 pm
On August 16, 2008 at 10:33 PM Pacific Time, wjoegreen wrote:
Yeah, I hear ya,...at 51 and jogging, my kids are like you should be closing in on an a wheel chair and we can't keep up with you.  Talk about motivation besides being able to jog and how good it makes me feel.  Yep,... the old fart is going to take this ride as long as the body allows it.
Jeez if my kid said something like that to me, it would be a cold day in hell before I ever let them win another race or competition

Closing in on a wheel chair ha-ha

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MaryS
on 8/17/08 1:34 am - Long Island, NY

Cassie,

I found I gained a few  pounds training for the marathon last year; unfortunately I haven't lost them.  Good for you on getting it under control.  Thankfully this year my weight has been holding steady despite the increase in the number of miles. 

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Kevin A.
on 8/18/08 2:55 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thanks for posting Cassie I had been thinking about this same subject for a few months. I've been between 221-230lbs for the last year but the last few weeks I been more in the low 230's!! I know I falling back into my old habits of eatting and but I use all the exercise as a excuse why I can eat what I want.. I know I need to start making better choices to get the full benefit or all the exercise.

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Brian Meiers
on 8/18/08 12:12 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
RNY on 08/18/04 with
Cassie,

I've also found that my weight went up when my workouts increased in duration and intensity.  I haven't journaled my intake, but sounds like that's a good idea.  My best racing weight is around 150 to 155, but the last year has seen my weight increase to 160/163 even though I've logged >11K miles in the last 12 mo.  The nutrition company I've worked with had me eating a lot of protein (2.5/3 gms per 1 kg body weight) and that's when my weight increased.  Since I cut that down, my weight has stabilized, but not dropped.

Getting proper nutrition while finding the balance between input/output has been a creative struggle for me.

Brian
Most Active