Gas while on treadmill

Richbehr
on 8/15/08 2:21 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
Ok, I've got an embarassing situation. I use the treadmill at my gym daily and go 3 or 4 miles. While I'm on it, I have so much gas! It has no odor.....so far. I hold in the gas as best I can, but I'm afraid that someday I will clear the place out. I've tried going on an empty stomach, but still gas. I'm thinking maybe I'm not breathing right? or gulping air? or is all the jostling around just lossening things up?
Thanks!

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

JeremyGentles
on 8/15/08 2:28 am - Johnson City, TN
Are you eating anything before you go to the gym?

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Richbehr
on 8/15/08 5:09 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
I've tried eating,not eating, eating only proteins and still
GAS

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

Amanda K.
on 8/15/08 3:53 am - Leesburg, VA
Well, I bet it's "shaking" things up.  It's called Runners Trots... ;-)  Are you new to running?
 Amanda  

Richbehr
on 8/15/08 5:10 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
Yes, I am new to jogging/running. In fact being only 4 months post-op I'm new to the whole exercise thang.

JeremyGentles
on 8/15/08 5:44 am - Johnson City, TN
Exercise in general, decreases transit time through the bowels. This is a good thing and will keep you more regular. Hang in there it should get better.

Just be careful who stand next to on the treadmill.....or in front of

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

misstilly
on 8/15/08 8:24 am - Cosby, TN
I can relate to the gs on the treadmill.  It never fails that when I get on it I start to get gassy, the only thing differnet with me is mine has an odor.  I try to use the bathroom before getting on but that doesn't help.  Oh well I guess it is part of the surgery it will pass like other things do Haha.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Richbehr
on 8/15/08 11:37 pm - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
Sue,
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person this happens to.
I've tried going to the bathroom first, but I don't have to go. I'm going to try some GasX and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

Cassie W.
on 8/15/08 9:08 am
Although it doesn't completely eliminate the problem, Gas-X or similar product does seem to help reduce my gas issues.   Though my kids still call me Gassie Cassie.
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Rob S.
on 8/15/08 10:01 am - DE
Try GasX and similar products.  One thing you will learn is that the more protein you get in, the more gas you are likely to encounter.  Also, be extremely careful, because their is nothing worse than being on a long-cycle ride where you are drafting behind someone that is letting loose.  That person usually ends up having to ride alone.  You will also notice at the gym that many treadmills are unoccupied on two sides.  Usually a good sign that the person in the middle is dangerous.  Not a great way to make friends.  Even five years out, my first stop at the gym is at the restroom, just in case.  Good luck, and keep working...
Rob
BTW...Yoga at the gym can be especially embarrasing if you have trouble controlling yourself.
Most Active