Where do I start?

Bugaloo
on 8/14/08 10:51 am - Altoona, IA
Hi ... I'm a newbie. I had lap-band 10 days ago and I'm feeling GREAT! I've lost 18 pounds (including pre-op diet) and I'm ready to start moving all this flab. I'm not cleared for weights yet, but I've been ordered to start exercising.

Even as a fatty I've always been active. Just haven't been successful at simultaneously taming eating behaviors and exercising enough to lose weight.

I HATE treadmills and walking. They bore me to death. But I do love the elliptical, I love bicycling, and I love to swim. I also enjoy racquetball, but my partner (hubby) currently has an injury so I'm flying solo. 

So where do I begin? I have thought about trying yoga, pilates, and kickboxing. All of those sound like fun to me. Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

1/1/08 — 282 / Surgery Day (8/5/08) — 267 / Current — 248 / Goal Weight — 140

K B (Tucson)
on 8/14/08 1:15 pm - Tucson, AZ
Begin by moving any way you can.  You hate the low-tech activites but interestingly like the kind of activity that is a bit more advanced.  Try any and all the activities you listed as liking, just clear with your doc before doing weights or really doing hard ab excercises.  Good luck.
Aims
on 8/15/08 1:17 am - Whiteman AFB, MO
I started water aerobics at 4 weeks post-op and Love it, I can't believe how toned my legs are becomming, I highly recommend it!

Amy

Rob S.
on 8/15/08 10:23 am - DE
Whatever you do, make sure that you try and get 4-5 30-minute aerobic exercise sessions each week, and then add 2-3 strength training sessions each week.  As you lose, you'll need to pick up your intensity and will probably want to add more time and pick up more variety to avoid boredom.  So just get out there and have some fun.
Rob
Most Active