Breathing?????

MelissaM39
on 8/14/08 11:20 am - MI
OK, I know I need to work up to being able to do a long distance run.  My leg strength isn't stopping me it's my breathing.  Is there a secret?  Do you breathe through your nose and mouth or just your mouth?  I feel like I could go so much further if I didn't feel like I wanted to die.  I keep pushing it.   Just wondering if there are any pointers.  Thanks guys!

Linn D.
on 8/15/08 12:33 am - Missoula, MT
I was trying to think about when I first started running and how I was breathing - or even now for that matter.  I do breathe mostly through my mouth partly because I have tiny nasal passages and have always breathed that way during any activity.

Then I remembered that I saw a brief little Q&A in Runner's World (June 2008).  According to Jeff Galloway, the main thing you can do is run regularly (at least 3 times a week).  You might also want to try slowing your pace a little to see if that helps or take walk breaks.  Then gradually increase the length or time you run.

There's no magic answer, and it seems like it happens all of a sudden that you'll realize this isn't so hard anymore!  That's how it happened for me.

Just keep running....

Linn
MelissaM39
on 8/15/08 12:37 am - MI

Gotcha...I have noticed that walking doesn't get my heart rate up anymore no matter how fast a pace I keep.  So I have been doing the walk/run program and keeping my heartrate at a pace where it's moderately difficult to talk and I just concentrate on breathing in and out.  Thanks Lin

Deanna34
on 8/15/08 1:19 am - Salem, OR
Hi Melissa!

Listening to my breathing bothers me a lot!  So I always use my mp3 player so it gives me something else to concentrate on!  Also, try slowing your pace down until you feel that your breathing is becoming more rhythmic.  Sometimes it takes me a mile before I feel like my breathing is "normal" and then I can increase my pace a little bit.  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MelissaM39
on 8/15/08 1:22 am - MI
Good idea...I will try that tonight!  I'm sure it makes the time go faster as well.

wjoegreen
on 8/16/08 3:10 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Melissa,

A Frank Shorter tip (old school long distance runner) recommended a technique I find works for me.  I have a screwed up nasal passage from too many broken noses during HS football in the 70s, so I breath in and out through my nose right at the beginning of my jog, but as soon as I need to, I shift to breathing  in through my mouth and out through my nose and that helps to control getting in more air than I am exhaling,... so my body has a better shot at getting the benefits of the oxygen in the air I am taking in before I would normally blow it all back out through my mouth. 

It takes a little mental effort at first but now its pretty natural to me.  In through my mouth and out through my nose.  When I get to where I absolutley have to breath out and in through my mouth, I first try to suck in some deeper slower breaths through my mouth and slow my jog down a bit to see if I can work through it without slowing to a walk (pick a target in the distance to get to, and if its not better by that point or you can't make it there), then shift gears down to a walk for 2-3 minutes or until you can breath in and out through your nose, then you are ready to start jogging again.

Eventually you will progress to being able to work through the mental barrier of the tough spots and realize you can keep jogging rather than slowing to a walk, but that all part of the progressing on regular workouts.  It didn't happen for me until the day after my second 10K.  I was so ticked at myself for not being able to finish without taking two walking breaks.  I was determined to not walk on the practice run and son-of-gun, I had two periods where I was suffering a bit but as I tried to work through them both times, I amazingly realized I was breathing Ok again, all of a sudden and was able to go a whole 6 miles without walking.  It was a joyous run.  A mental acoomlishment.  But listen to your body.  You can pu**** beyond what you believe you are capable of nut you can also hurt yourself if your ignore the tender twangs and sensations you sometimes feel when you are going too far.  So listen to your body.

Hope that helps. In though the mouth and out through the nose.  It doesn't work for everyone but it really makes a difference for me.

Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
panhead58fl
on 8/18/08 4:48 am - Barboursville, WV
I like to get in a rhythm with my strides. When I am running a fast pace I will take breath in for three strides and out for three strides, alittle bit slower and it maybe in for two strides; longer breathes. Most of the time at a slow pace I don't even think about it. At first it may take an effort to do it but once you get use to it it will become second nature. At a slower pace I start out breathing through my nose, when I pick it up it, all through my mouth. If you get the dry mouth what I have found that is a great help is gum. I don't chew it constantly while running, but I will chew it every now and again while I am running and tuck it between my cheek and gum and do that when my mouth starts getting dry. Just keep putting in the miles and it will get easier.

pan head
MelissaM39
on 8/19/08 12:58 am - MI

Thank you all for the help.  I guess I was thinking it was bad to breathe through your mouth but it sounds like you get to a point where you have to.  I will try these methods tonight.  I'm looking forward to the breakthrough moment so many people talk about when it just happens and they figure out their rythym and body.

Most Active