Newbie needing input

cmr3399
on 8/14/08 3:18 am - Bayville, NJ
Hi all I'm new so bare with me....

I had a revision on June 24th...and have been trying to get my butt motivated ever since...so i figure If I post what I have been doing at the gym you fine folk will give me some feed back and hopefully some pointers....

so here it goes....I try for 2x's a week a yoga/pilates class....
                                4-5 times a week I do ....10 miles on stationary bike in 30 min, stepper (50 floors) in 5 mins, followed either by a mile on the treadmill 1min running...9 walking...1 min running..9 walking for a total of 20 min ( 2 minutes of the heavy girl running on the treadmill is all I think the people at the gym can handle) , or 2.5 miles speed walking in 30 min

Is this helping me at all...is there anything I can be doing differently..I guess movement at all is helping...but I just dont seem to be seeing any results or maybe I just think i don't see it....I have a spare tire and a bottom that just dont seem to want to cooperate with the weight/inch loss

Any and I mean ANY feedback would be WONDERFUL......

'Nothing Tastes as good as THIN FEELS!"

Linn D.
on 8/14/08 6:12 am - Missoula, MT
I guess it all depends on what your goals are.

I like the idea of the yoga/pilates classes for strengthening and core training.  Personal opinion about steppers is they're hard on your knees for what little you actually get out of it.  I personally think you'd be better off either jogging more minutes or speed walking more.  Elliptical trainers and stationary bikes are easier on most bodies and you can get some good cardio using them.  I'm not much of a fan of them for myself anymore, but I'm now a runner and triathlete and just don't get enough of a workout from them.  Studio cycling classes, on the other hand, are great!

If you're interested in running, it would be a good idea to find a walk to jog or couch to 5k program.  They are really good at moving you through it slowly enough that you don't feel like you're dying.  Most start with a 4:1 walk to jog ratio.  There are quite a few larger ladies at my gym who are starting to run and most runners think it's great to see ANYONE take it up regardless of the size.  When I do my speed workouts on the tread, it's pretty loud.  Who cares?  Certainly not me.

The main thing to remember about cardio activities is to be sure you're getting your heart rate into the cardio zone and keeping it there for 30 minutes 5 times a week.  That's the minimum recommendation for the health benefits you get.

Any other specific questions?  It's easier to answer when we know what kind of information you want.  I say any activity is a good activity if you enjoy it and can make it a consistent part of your lifestyle.

Linn
Most Active