Exercise before wls

Darrell H.
on 8/10/08 12:44 am - Sinton, TX
I know how important exercise is in the journey for weight loss, but what would be a good goal either distance or time wise for walking before my surgery date?
Chris Zane
on 8/10/08 4:04 am
It it difficult to answer your question without knowing you.  What is your current fitness level?  Do you have problems walking (knee, back, hip??).  I guess I would start out walking how ever long you can - 10, 20, 30 mins - whatever you can do.  Do it maybe four times a week and increase by 5-10 minutes each week.  That would be my best advice without knowing your situtation.
Linn D.
on 8/10/08 7:07 am - Missoula, MT
Hi.

Please be careful of seeing exercise as a means of weight loss.  The primary reason I exercise is for health reason.  It IS important in my maintenance program, but I'm heavier than most who wear the size I wear.

That being said, you'll get the best benefit from good cardio exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes 5 days a week.  That's the national recommendation.  If you can get your heart rate up by walking, that's great.  That's something you'll be able to do even right after your surgery.  You can certainly work up your time and speed as you get into better physical shape (and you'll need to in order to keep the heart rate up), but I wouldn't worry about that for now. 

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get into the habit of exercising doing whatever it is that you find that you like and making it a regular part of your day.

Linn 
Darrell H.
on 8/10/08 11:08 am - Sinton, TX
For my size, I am in pretty good shape. I am a high school coach and have been doing 2-a-days football practice for a week now. I walk for about 45 minutes each day. I am just curious if I need to do more to have an easier recovery.
Scott William
on 8/10/08 10:37 pm
It sounds like you are on the right track.  I would say that the better shape you are in going in to surgery will help you comming out of surgery and recovery.  I have no clue if I am right or not but it would seem logical.  Keep up the walking.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active