what exercise will help me achieve a healthy body fat%?

Jean M.
on 8/7/08 8:04 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Now that I'm so close to my weight goal, I feel like I need another goal to keep me on track.  I decided to improve my body fat %, mainly through exercise.

In the past, I have measured my body fat % by using an online calculator like this one: http://exercise.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm

According to that calculator, I started out with a body fat % of 51.3% and am now at 32.3.  Not quite believing the accuracy of the calculator, I bought a body fat calipers ($12.75 plus S/H, by Accu-measure, from drugsdepot.com).  I followed the instructions that came with the calipers, measured the suprailliac skinfold (right on that sagging belly) and after measuring twice, came up with 32.1% body fat.  Not bad, huh?

Then I researched "healthy" body fat %'s and found that a healthy range for my age is 23-35%.  So I'm still 3.1 points away from the middle of that range.

My question is: what exercise(s) will help me get to a 29% body fat%?  My workout routine now is:
3-4 aerobics classes a week (45-60 min each)
3-4 brisk walks a week (40 min each at 2.5 mph)

Until I injured my back 2 weeks ago, I was also doing 15 min. of weight training 3-4 days a week.  I hope to start that again next week.  I find weight training EXTREMELY boring, but I'm willing to put more time into it if needed.

Thanks,
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

MaryS
on 8/9/08 3:38 am - Long Island, NY
 Jean,

I think any and all exercise will help you achieve a healthy body fat percentage.  Sounds like you are doing great!  One thing to keep in mind, I don't know how you are with excess skin, but a measuring body fat with calipers might not be the most accurate.  Your body fat % might be lower than the reading you get.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active