Traing for 10K question

misstilly
on 8/6/08 5:22 am - Cosby, TN
I have been running now for about 4 months and I have done 2 - 5K's with another one this coming weekend.  But I want to do a 10K in the beginning of October.  I was wondering what I should do to prepare for that.  I do run 10K's on the treadmill now at least once a week, the rest of the week I run between 2-4 miles. I started running today on a 5% incline at 5.5 for 2 miles, then ran 1 mile at 0% inlcine at 6.5. I run outside when weather permitting, it has been very hot and humid here this summer. I was wondering if that is a good training schedule or if I should do something else.  I also ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes - 8-8.5 miles and circuit training 5 days a week.

thanks in advance Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Mifiremedic
on 8/6/08 6:23 am - MI
Sounds to me youre on the way to completing a 10K without any difficulties.

My only suggestion is to work on increasing your distance outside. Pick one day a week to have as your long day, and increase your mileage on that day(s).

Something I have just learned and having good success with is to work on running time, not so much mileage.

Good luck, and I think you will do just fine. In fact, youre ready for a 10K much sooner than October. Just saying..

Curt
misstilly
on 8/6/08 8:41 am - Cosby, TN
Thanks Curt.  I try to run outside on Saturdays if I don't run a race.  I really all depends on the humidity.  Where I live there are alot on hills and valleys.  Some of the hills are pretty steep I have managed to conquer 2 of the steep ones.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

tarateacher
on 8/12/08 10:12 am
RNY on 08/07/07 with
Sue - you could do a 10k this weekend if you wanted to!  If you can run 3 miles, you can run 6.  I was where you are in May. I ran my first 5 k in APr, 2nd in May then 10 K on June 1.  it was great. Now I am running a half marathon on Aug 31. Good luck!!! You can doit!

Tara

Tara

Most Active