Energy Vs Endurance

1texasmom
on 8/6/08 1:28 am
I'm not sure how to ask this so I'm going to start with some background.  I'm almost 9 months out.  For the first 6 momths I had some major issues with dizzy spells, weakness and fatigue.  Although all is under control now (well, 90% of the time) my energy level - aka endurance level - has gone to cr ap!  I'm not sure how to re-train. 

For the past two weeks I've been doing 30 minutes of cardio every day with weights 30 minutes 3x a week, but I'm exhausted towards the end of the workout and I fear the final reps aren't doing much good.  I've been toying with the idea of two-a-days on my weight training days just to ensure I'm really benefiting from the workout, but I'm conserned that my endurance will not benefit if I'm not pushing those limits. 

Have any of you been here?  If so what did you do?

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

Linn D.
on 8/6/08 2:37 pm - Missoula, MT
I wasn't sure how to answer earlier, which is why I didn't.

This is kind of what's going through my mind about your situation.

My assumption is that you haven't been exercising regularly for a while and are now getting back into it.  If this is the case, it's going to be important to rebuild.  It's frustrating, but more to your benefit in the long run.  Work as though you've been injured and are just returning after a hiatus.  It'll be best if you work up slowly.  Go ahead and do your 30 minutes of cardio (maybe with a bit lower intensity for a while) at least 5 days a week and cut your weights to twice a week  at lower weights for a few weeks.  Introduce the weights a third time when it gets to the point where you no longer feel exhausted before you finish.  If you try to do too much when your body is tired, it's easy to lose good form and cause injury.  A good tired is fine, but if you overdo, it won't help you.

That being said, adding a second workout is only going to add to your misery.  Allow yourself the time you need to work back up to where you were before.  I've been training for a year since recovering from a hamstring injury and am just now getting back the speeds and endurance I had before.  It's okay, though, because I did it all in a smart way and didn't reinjure myself along the way.

Hope this helps some.

Linn
1texasmom
on 8/6/08 10:30 pm
Linn, thanks!  That makes perfect sense.  And it's all stuff I know, but relating to myself instead of others...well, just couldn't admit that I'm not superwoman or something.  lol.  I appreciate the insight.

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

Jean M.
on 8/7/08 8:09 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I had this problem when I first started working out.  I was eating protein before my workout and protein/carbs afterwards.  Then another OH member suggested that I add complex carbs before my workout, to give me quick fuel, and it helped a lot.  I now eat weight control oatmeal (higher protein and fiber than regular oatmeal) with skim milk and 1/2 banana before my workout, then protein/carbs (cottage cheese) afterwards.

Just a thought...

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active