What to eat before long workouts?

Pam T.
on 8/5/08 5:43 am - Saginaw, MI
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and I've search back a few pages for the answer, but nothing jumped out at me.  So forgive me if this question has been asked a million times.

I'm training for a half marathon - as a walker.  I'm part of a formal training program and right now we are working toward the first big race -- a 10-miler.  So our normal Tuesday workouts have been getting longer and longer.  Last week we did 8.75 miles (about 2.5 hours) and next week we're doing a full 10-mile practice walk.    After the Aug 23rd race we'll be meeting on Saturday mornings (which will present it's own new set of questions about eating breakfast before the walk or not) ---  and the training sessions will be getting progressively longer working up for the half-marathon in October.

So my question is -- what do I eat before these long workouts? 

I feel like I'm getting it all wrong.  After last week's 9 miles I was totally zapped.  Then I had a 30 minute drive to get home before I could eat dinner.  Normally I eat a light snack about 1 hour before we work out --- something carb & protein like a protein bar or fruit/cheese or crackers/peanut butter.  During the long walks I'm carrying water, so I'm staying hyrdrated.  Often our trainers will have a snack for us after the walk - granola bar, fruit, popsicles, whatever - I often skip it and just go home for dinner though.

So what do you eat before a 2+ hour workout?  and right after?

Thanks a bunch
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

wjoegreen
on 8/5/08 6:09 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I try to get some protien in about 2 hrs before the workout, but more importantly get some complex carbs in like 12 hours before so it has time to digest and be chemically ready for your body to use (ever heard of carb loading by professional athletes; usually dinner the night before).  I avoid eating much more than a granola bar or protein bar 1-2 hours before the event.  Fluids I do OK right up till about 30-45 minutes before; also slow down at that point before starting to avoid the need for pit-stops).  

After, foraml races usually provide some fruit or bagels and liquids. I go for the fruit (banana first chice, apple 2nd choice, and maybe 3rd would be half a bagel if its long run 10K+) to get something back in the tank and aid in your recovery becuse,...life goes on.

So my simple rule is carbs before (for energy), protein after (for muscle recovery), and stay hydrated.  You are doing a great job.  Hang with your program and you will have success. 
And don't be afraid to talk nutrition with your program trainer.  They probably know you better and you can ask specifics on the spot.  Especially make sure they know/understand  you are Post-op WLS and have special needs such as malabsorption.  It puts a different twist on what you can and cannot tolerate or benefit from.   Especially make sure to be taking your prescribed vitamins and supplements.  I have also benefited from added Garlic to my regime (recommendation for consideration from an article in Runners World),..but be careful,...too much sends me to the potty in 2-3 hours.

Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Pam T.
on 8/5/08 6:42 am - Saginaw, MI
Joe -

This is great information!  Thank  you so much. 

The 12-hour carb loading before the workout wasn't even on my radar.  I should have known because I know about pre-game pasta parties and such (my brother used to play football).  SO it looks like on training days I'll switch to oatmeal and fruit for breakfast instead of a more protein-heavy meal. 

I find that I absolutely have to carry water with me during my walks or I end up dehydrated afterward - or so thirsty during the walk that I have to stop and find water.  Even just sips along the way enables me to keep going. 

I'll also look into the garlic supplement.  Interesting...

Thank you a bunch!
Pam

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Chris Zane
on 8/5/08 8:51 am
I almost always eat peanut butter and crackers before a race.  If it is a shorter workout, maybe cereal (Special K protein) with fresh fruit.
Sherry_Berry
on 8/5/08 8:29 pm - Dacula, GA
Morning-ENERGY...protein alone will make you struggle over the miles...clif bar....pb crackers...granola, bagel, etc.

During-water alone won't cut it over the looong miles chicke! Get some ENERGY...whether it's in drink form like gatorade or a gel or clif shot blocks, etc. Do NOT take a gel alone or with gatorade. You must follow a calorie of this type with water...or ELSE...you'll suffer dehydration!

Lastly...for muscle repair, you need a 4-1 carb protein ratio! You need the carbs to help deliver protein to your muscles. So, one of those no carb protein drinks won't fully help you. It should help some. My nutritionist has me doing lowfat choco milk. Again...that MAGIC TIME is that 30 minute window after you stop.

An hour or 2 after you should get in a regular meal...lots of protein and don't forget your carbs. I wouldn't bother with the choco or meal with 6 miles...but I would for 10 or a half marathon...or if I'm out there a few horus. Or if I did a TOUGH workout, like a track workout which will rip up your legs.
Pam T.
on 8/5/08 11:02 pm - Saginaw, MI
FANTASTIC information Sherry.  Thank you so much.  Printing this and re-reading.  :-)  Looks like I need a meal plan for long workout days. 

I'll also share the great information from you all with the rest of my training group. 

Pam

JeremyGentles
on 8/5/08 11:43 pm, edited 8/5/08 11:44 pm - Johnson City, TN
Excellent info Sherry!

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Richbehr
on 8/6/08 12:03 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
After my spinning class the instructor offers little cartons of chocolate milk. Now I know why. Thanks for the info

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

Nicole I.
on 8/6/08 12:28 am - East haven, CT
rich can you tellme where you go to the gym i see your local to me and im 5 days out so im looking to start the gym over the weekend. I love spinning!!! I dont want to go back to my old gym because its kind of not doing to well. so i need good new spin classes
Richbehr
on 8/6/08 2:16 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
Nik,
I belong to HEALTH TRAX in North Haven. I live about a mile from there so its very convenient. It is expensive, but I think its worth it. I have guest passes if you ever want to go.

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

Most Active