Personal Trainers and Motivation

Melissa M.
on 8/5/08 6:19 am, edited 8/5/08 8:46 am - Seabrook, TX
I am new to this forum but I was curious to how important a personal trainer is.  I have never been a big exerciser other than walking around my neighborhood and getting on my treadmill occasionally.   I am 2 years out from WLS and have just not been able to get motivated to exercise on a regular basis. Even with my weight loss stopping at 7 months out.  I was depressed about that for a while but accepted that this is where my body wanted to stop.  I thought after losing 90 pounds that I might get motivated to exercise more but it just hasn't happened.  It just amazes me how some SMO people completely turn into exercise fanatics after their weight loss and seem to stay committed for the most part.  That is so inspiring. 

Recently, my teenage daughter joined a gym and got a good deal on a personal trainer as an introductory offer.  I've been going since I got a 2 week free trial period  but I like the idea of the personal attention the trainer seems to give.   I am trying to get into this working out routine but it sure is hard.  I'm not sure if I can do this.  I have had some personal issues that have been keeping me down for a while, but I know if I do exercise I should feel better about myself but it's just not happening yet.  Any ideas or encouragement on how to keep myself motivated but more importantly, STAY motivated??

Thanks,
Melissa
Linn D.
on 8/5/08 7:16 am - Missoula, MT
Meliss,

Some people get a lot out of having a personal trainer, and others don't.  I'm pretty internally motivated, so it wouldn't help me much unless it was Alberto Salazar!

If motivation is an issue for you, and you're good about keeping appointments a personal trainer could be just the thing for you.  The other thing that is so important to try to remember is that the workouts you do are totally selfish!  That is your time to benefit your own self and your own health.  There are more than physical benefits to exercise.  I find that I'm mentally healthier when I exercise as well.  I have fewer mood swings and have a happier demeanor most of the time. 

I exercise for health reasons.  Sure I like to train and do races, but I'm not competitive enough to win.  I just like to see the progress.  And like I said before, I get so much out of it for mental health as anything else. 

Don't know if I've helped any, but really do try to see it as something you do totally for you!

Linn
Rob S.
on 8/6/08 1:33 am - DE
Melissa,
Personal trainers are great at getting you started at a gym.  There are so many pieces of equipment it can be overwhelming.  They also are great at form, pulling elbows in, etc.  I definitely would recommend having one.  You don't need to have extended session with the trainer, unless you can afford that, because once they set you up with a session, you should be good for 4-6  months.  The other thing about having a personal trainer at the gym, is that it is another smiley face that will greet you when you are having that workout.  Making friends at the gym can really help to get you to attend.  I find that the classes are great for both the workouts, the camaraderie and attendance.
If being healthy and fit is not enough motivation to get you to the gym,,,,  Get on one of those cardio machines and see how long and how hard you have to work to get off 100 calories... 
Good luck and keep plugging away.
Rob
MaryS
on 8/9/08 3:42 am - Long Island, NY
 Melissa,

Have a personal trainer is a great tool for me to ensure I get to the gym.  Having the appointment helps me to keep my commitment.  Another idea for motivation is to find somebody to go with and make an appointment to meet them at the gym.  If you know somebody is waiting for you, you'll be less likely to cancel.

Best of luck.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active