Balancing exercise and not losing too much

clring5
on 8/4/08 2:24 pm - Colorado Springs, CO

Hi everyone. I am 9.5 months out of surgery and have taken up running about 6 mths ago. I run about 9-11 miles per week plus do weights and other cardio (about 5-6 hours a week of exercise altogether). I hit goal in July and am now 10lbs under it. What tips do you have to maintain weight given the quantity GB patients can eat without stretching the pouch?

Here's what I eat each day: 3/4 c food 3X's per day, 2 protein snacks, 1 glass of milk and juice and sometimes a Sugarfree pudding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Surgery date: Oct 11,2007; Goal Reached July 1, 2008.

Thank God for second chances.

Linn D.
on 8/5/08 7:28 am - Missoula, MT
Sounds to me like you really do need to eat more.  I eat a good 1600-1800 calories every day and have maintained for 3.5 years.  I exercise a lot, though (25 miles, 2 spin classes, 2-3 swims a week), and probably eat about every 2-3 hours.  I don't eat a lot at one time, I just eat often.  Carbs (banana, oatmeal, yogurt) before a workout, and a good balanced meal after.

If you can, I would add one more meal and one more snack and that should give you enough that you won't continue to lose.  As an example, try to eat a meal about an hour prior to a workout (heavy on the carbs) and then another one when you're done.  That should help you maintain your weight as you exercise.

Linn
Most Active