Running Question

puddin2day
on 8/5/08 1:58 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hey Everyone,

I have a problem regarding running.  This past weekend, I ran the 10K for the City of Hope's Underwear Affair.  I noticed that after so many miles (say about 4), my legs start to lock up and are painful.  Do anyone know why this is happening?  During the second half of the 10K, I ended up doing a lot more walking than I would have anticipated.

Thank you,
Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Deanna34
on 8/5/08 2:52 am - Salem, OR
Hi Kim!  Great job on your 10K!!!  I don't know exactly what's going on with your legs, my guess would be just fatigue.  My fitness coach at the gym told me to try to get into a weight lifting class where you do a lot of repetitions of things like squats and lunges that will help build your leg endurance.  Are you stretching before you run?  Try eating some bananas too ... the potassium might help.  I don't know ... I hope you get some good answers!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

puddin2day
on 8/5/08 2:55 am - Los Angeles, CA

Deanna,

I have not been stretching before a run, sometimes afterwards.  I just joined a gym.  Never thought about the potassium; it might be low.  Thank you.  I can wait to read the responses.  I have to get this taken care of, because I have a half marathon in October. 

Kim

Kevin A.
on 8/5/08 3:21 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Are you mixing salt with your drinks?? It might be leg cramps or you maybe start off too fast getting cought up in the excitement of the race?? What were your split times during the race??
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
puddin2day
on 8/5/08 3:38 am - Los Angeles, CA
I divided a packet of salt between my 2 10 oz. bottles of gatorade --not G2 (tell my running coach about this).  This time I started off very slowly.  Although I had started late, I walked for a good 10 mins., then I started to run (1 min run/2 min walk).  My pace was 14:59.

JeremyGentles
on 8/5/08 4:23 am, edited 8/5/08 4:25 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Kim,
Your issues may have something to do with electorlytes such as sodium and potassium, but if I had to pick something I would say that it has more to do with proper hydration and carbohydrate intake.

If you are eating a relatively balanced diet and take a mutli-vitamin each day, you are most likely getting enough electrolytes in your diet....this is especially true if you are also consuming Gatorade as you hinted at in one of your responses. Another thing is that this is occuring after only 4 miles, so electoryte imbalance is probably not the issue. Again, it may be an issue if you are not eating a balanced diet.

I think it is probably more to do with the following:

- Make sure you are consuming plenty of fluids. Don't wait unitl right before or during the event to get hydrated.

- Make sure you are consuming adequate carbohydrate prior to endurance events. Complex carbohydrate prior and if you can tolerate Gatorade or gels, you can use those if the event is long enought to warrant their use.

- As Deanna pointed out, restistance training is your friend. If you are not already, start weight training!

- And last but not least, make sure you are warming up properly prior to the run. You can stretch but quite frankly a warm up consisting of a light jog to increase blood flow to the "soon to be working muscles," probably does more for preparing you than just stretching.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

puddin2day
on 8/5/08 6:12 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your reply.  I am going to start weight training this week (just joined 24 Hr. Fitness).  Now that I think about it,  I am sure my diet could use some tweaking also.  On a daily basis, I drink 64 oz. of  water.  I will have to remember to lightly jog before running.   Thank you for your imput.  I usually do a 5 to 7 min walk before my weekday runs (which are much shorter than the long runs).  I see that I have to change my approach regarding my longer runs.

Kim

Linn D.
on 8/5/08 6:55 am, edited 8/5/08 6:56 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Kim,

I can really only think of 2 things it might be related to: training or nutrition.

If you truly got all your miles in, it's probably not just fatigue.  But if you didn't it could very well be as simple as that - especially if you haven't done many runs that are 5 miles or more all at once.

If you're lacking electrolyes (sodium, potassium, calcium) you could be lacking the right "action potential" to cause the muscles to contract and relax the way they are supposed to.

If you're low on fuel or iron, you could just not be getting enough glucose or oxygen to the muscles to sustain you for the six miles.

I'm probably not much help, but these are the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Sorry, I didn't see Jeremy's post before I did mine.  I guess I totally agree with him!

Linn
puddin2day
on 8/5/08 7:14 am - Los Angeles, CA
Linn,

I just got off the phone with a co-worker's husband.  He runs and he told me to eat more bananas (potassium),  do speed work and more stretching.

I have noticed that I have been slacking off my iron pills also.  TIme for me to get back on the straight and narrow.
Thank you,
Kim

Most Active