5 years post op marathon training / Nutrition

jnypooh
on 8/5/08 12:28 am - Westminister, CO
I have been running for a while now and have completed 4 half marathons and lots of 5, 10k ect.
I am worried about my nutrition.  I had to take some time off June / July because of loe energy and I was very low on iron and recieved infusions.  I have been very compliant to my vitamins since surgey.  I understand that I need carbs / protien both to fuel my body but have a really hard time with the carbs.  Could some of you give me a sample of your typical diet while training??? I see that a lot of you are runners and have completed marathons.  I run between 25-30 miles per week and will run my first marathon in Oct.  Any advice you have would be great.

Thank you,
Jennifer
Jennifer
RNY 6/17/2003
336/150/140 at goal

Linn D.
on 8/5/08 7:38 am - Missoula, MT
Jennifer,

You might seriously look into a sports nutritionist.  They look at things from a little different perspective and may help you come up with a good eating plan.  You might also check into Runner's World (they have a website and archived articles) for help in developing better eating patterns.  I've been known to be anemic, so I'm good about taking iron supplements at least 3 days a week and I stay pretty good.

I do eat about every 2-3 hours and around 1800 calories a day (I weigh about 155).  A lot of those calories are carbs in some form or another.  Is your problem with carbs mental or physical?  It's important for athletes (even post WLS) to have a good relationship with carbs because they are so necessary to fuel the workouts - especially long runs.

I don't keep a food journal or anything like that, so I can't really be of much help, but I would really recommend that you look into a sports nutritionist.  Most coaches or running stores will have some good resources for you as well.

Good luck with your marathon!  The first one is a cool experience.

Linn
Sherry_Berry
on 8/5/08 8:31 pm - Dacula, GA
Linn has good advice! I have a nut. who is the athletic nut. director for Emory and specializes in gastric bypass. Putting the 2 together is tricky!

Also-my first sports nut. meant well, she had no xp w/bypass and I totally BONKED at the chicago marathon!
Rob S.
on 8/6/08 1:39 am - DE
Great question.  I'm also experimenting with different options.  But I have been taking extra doses of iron and B-complex.  Carbs still haunt me, because I try and stay away from the "whites".  My first marathon is in Jan 2009.  I've got half-marathons scheduled in September and November.
The current issue of Runner's World has a good article on nutrition.  It states that you don't need to worry much unless your runs extend beyond 75-minutes.  It also says that you should be recouping about 100-calories (>250 for larger bodies) and hour.
Rob
jnypooh
on 8/10/08 12:32 pm - Westminister, CO
Thank you for all your responses.  I have made an appt. with a nut.
The hard part for me with the carb is the way they make me feel after I eat them usually really bloated and kind of sick feeling.  I have tried a hammer gel pack on my last long run and felt alright.  I guess it's just trial and error.

Thank you,
Jennifer
Jennifer
RNY 6/17/2003
336/150/140 at goal

Most Active