Running a 7mi Road Race on Sunday

fooseberry
on 8/3/08 12:55 pm - E Falmouth, MA
I am terrified!!
I had to sign up in April and have worked as much as I can so far but am not sure I am ready. I am OK with the fact that I may walk part of it as I have never ran more than 3 miles but I just can't shake the anxiety and twisted stomach feeling.
I have no time in mind to beat or anything like that. I just want to survive. It is THE GOAL I had after surgery and maybe it is that more than anything. It is a race with 10,000 runners and I want to fini**** I want to be part of that.

Any thought or comments I would love to hear form you-
Jennifer
Post op -306
Current - 189
Goal - 171
Come to my Blog and say Hello!      http://fooseberrypie.blogspot.com/
Fooseberry Pie
Scott William
on 8/3/08 10:53 pm
That is a great first race to run.  I am assuming that it's the Falmouth Road Race.  With 10,000 people, there will too many people to think too much.  Once the race starts the butterflies will flutter away and you will be off.  If you feel under trained, take walk breaks early on to preserve the running muscles.  If you do, move to the side and throw your hand up before you start walking so people know that you will be walking.  I really don't think you will have any problem as the energy of the crowd will carry you along.  Just don't get too caught up in it or you can burn yourself out too earlly.   Also, line up toward the back so you don't start too fast.  Those are all small things --- most of all, have a great time and enjoy every second.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 8/4/08 12:38 am - Missoula, MT
Jennifer,

I don't really have anything to add since Scott did so well. 

I just wanted to wish you well for your race!  The big races are fun.

Linn
Deanna34
on 8/4/08 12:56 am - Salem, OR
Hi Jennifer!  You will do great!  All that momentum of so many people will really help inspire you to keep moving.  What I do is I'll pick a gal that looks like she's keeping a similar pace to me and I'll just follow behind her.  I tell myself as long as she's running, so am I!  If I get to a point where I have to stop and walk, then I pick another gal and do the same thing once I start running again.  It gives you something else to focus on!  Also, make sure you get some water at the aid stations.  Do you listen to an mp3 player?  If so, put some brand new music on there and it will help take your mind off the running too.  Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!  I think you'll do great!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Most Active