when is it better to exercise

cntrygirl
on 7/29/08 2:16 pm - Sierra Foothills, CA
I am pretty new to OH and I would like to know is it better to exercise before you eat or after. The last two days I started to power walk with my normal walking and have not felt good afterwards. I did most of my walking around stores before eating. But the last two days I have been walking after dinner. Could that be the reason that I am not feeling good.

I am diabetic and I am trying to lower my numbers, the doctor told me to exercise more.

Any responses would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Sue

HW 308
SW
CW 274
GW 115
Linn D.
on 7/30/08 12:51 am - Missoula, MT
Sue,

Even before I had my surgery, I could never exercise comfortably after I ate much.  I do my workouts in the morning and eat a banana and have a cup of coffee at least an hour before I exercise so I'm sure my stomach is empty.

Our bodies also tend to get into habits.  If you're used to walking before you eat, it's likely your body had adjusted to that.  When I do an afternoon workout, it's not nearly as comfortable to me as the morning ones are, but like I said, I generally do my workouts in the mornings.

I would say that the best thing to do would be to have a normal exercise schedule.  If you want to start walking after you eat, be sure the meal is light and you wait long enough so you don't have any nausea working against you.

Linn
cntrygirl
on 7/30/08 1:06 am - Sierra Foothills, CA
Thank you linn for responding to my post. I will try that. Sue

HW 308
SW
CW 274
GW 115
misstilly
on 7/30/08 2:51 am - Cosby, TN
I do my workouts in the morming.  I usually have a 4oz container of yogurt and cup of tea, then go to the gym for 2 hours.  After I come home I have my ceral and fruit.  It works out better for me that way, I don;t feel so bloated and heavy when I work out.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

cntrygirl
on 7/30/08 2:57 am - Sierra Foothills, CA
Thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate it. I will try that eating something small then go exercise then have breakfast. Sue

HW 308
SW
CW 274
GW 115
andrea K.
on 7/30/08 5:32 am - near Huntsville, AL
I workout after work which is around 4pm. I eat lunch at 2pm so that gives my stomach enough time to empty so I dont feel yuck. I work out for 2 hrs, then go home and make dinner.

292/279/183/155  highest/surgery/current/goal

Elisa K.
on 7/30/08 6:09 am - Lumberton, NJ
I have been running at night, after work.  I can't work out on a full stomach, but I can't work out totally empty, if that makes sense.  I have a protein snack (two string cheeses, or a small protein bar) about 1 hour before I work out.  That gives me enough energy to get through my workout, without being too much in my stomach.  I drink some water when I am done, then have my dinner about 1/2 hour after my workout.

You may also want to make sure you are properly hydrated for your workouts.

Good luck!!

Most Active