Weight lifting?

MyQnA
on 7/28/08 9:47 pm
Does anyone lift weights as part of their regular excercise program?  I did lift pre op but, wasn't very good at it.  I am trying again and wanted to know if anyone had any tips.

Best Regards,
Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

goat
on 7/28/08 10:36 pm - NC
I do. I belong to the YMCA and do it a couple times a week as part of a class. I felt I needed instruction to make sure I was using proper form. Eventually I plan to get a personal trainer to rev up my workout, but as a novice the class is working well for me.

greenrobinson
on 7/29/08 1:28 am
Yes, I have a personal trainer and my definition on my arms, shoulders, and back is amazing. I am trying to figure out how I can afford her forever. (HAHA). Lifting will make us stronger and make building our endurance so much better.
Robin
Linn D.
on 7/29/08 2:20 am - Missoula, MT
Maxine,

All I do is use the machines once or twice a week for upper body only.  I do so much running, biking, and some swimming also that I don't do any leg exercises.  My legs are large and well-defined anyway, so I personally don't see much usefulness in it at this point in time for me.

The only thing I would say is remember that strength training is NOT cardio training.  Be sure to make your cardio workouts take priority.  Strength is good, but overall health is benefitted much more with high quality cardio exercise where you keep your heart rate up for 30 minutes or more at least 5 times a week.

Linn
MyQnA
on 8/3/08 7:21 pm
Thanks for the tip...I know sometimes when I lift I get exhausted and don't want to do cardio.  But recently I've decided to do my cardio first and if I then wait to do the lifting if it is a day for weight training.

andrea K.
on 7/29/08 5:13 am - near Huntsville, AL
Yes weight lifting should be a part of your exercise routine. I do weight lifting 4 days a week. I alternate each day. ex: monday: upperbody, tuesday: lowerbody and so forth. I also get in my cardio for at least 45 min a day, 5x a week. I can TOTALLY tell a difference since I've been lifting weights. You will lose inches alot faster. Im still 192lbs but in a size 14. I know a lady that doesnt exercise that weighs 170 but still in 16. So sport 23

292/279/183/155  highest/surgery/current/goal

MyQnA
on 8/3/08 7:23 pm
We are about the same size so my question is do you lift with free weights or machines?

Kevin A.
on 8/4/08 12:48 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Check with your gym to see if they have Body Pump classes. It a great workout in a group setting, it works all your body parts and its almost as good as having a personal trainer.

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
MyQnA
on 8/4/08 12:52 am
I don't have access to a gym.  I have to do everything with the few free weights I have.  I am trying to increase my muscle gain as effeceintly as possible.

Most Active