My worst race EVER yesterday... At least I'm alive

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/08 12:34 am - Island Heights, NJ
I raced in the NJ State Olympic Tri yesterday.
Swim... Fine
Bike... Pretty damn good.
Run... God awful. Never try something new on race day. I normally do Clif Shot Blocks on the run. I forgot to bring them, so I drank the HEED at the firs****er stop. Spent the next 5 miles trying not to puke.

I'll be writing up a full report soon.

Tragically, another competitor drowned during the swim. They still haven't recovered the body. 7th Triathlon swim death this season.

Be careful, everybody... take your time.
Safety before seconds

-A.J.
Seht
on 7/28/08 12:49 am
Wow, that really brings everything into perspective.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/08 12:58 am - Island Heights, NJ

I stand corrected....
This was the 8th Tri swim death this season.

I just saw this report from a race in Idaho on Saturday

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10019153
puddin2day
on 7/28/08 1:52 am - Los Angeles, CA
AJ,

You did a wonderful job!  Give yourself a pat on the back anyway.  So sorry to hear about the fatality.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

kypdurran
on 7/28/08 3:38 am - Baton Rouge, LA

A.J. that sucks about the dude dying.   What do you think it's from?   Did you guys have to swim through jellyfish or something?  

Grats on your completion.  Sorry you had gastric distress man.   I'm looking forward to your race report. 

Chad

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/08 3:57 am - Island Heights, NJ
No jellyfish... Actually, I didn't see ANY fish, horseshoe crabs, or even so much as a guppy.
Lake swim, 81 degree water, no chop, smooth as glass, 21 separate 100-swimmer waves, and PLENTY of in-water support, lifeguards & kayaks.
One of the most organized, well-supported swims that I've ever seen.

This guy was a first timer, 52 years old.
He was in a Sprint wave (only a 500 Meter swim as opposed to my 1500 meters) and went off much earlier than I did.
Who the hell knows what happened? Cardiac arrest? Kicked in the head? Panic attack?
It just sucks.

They had to call off the search for his body at 5PM last night because of bad thunderstorms and were to resume the search at 8AM today.
After the weather cleared last night, his family & friends went to the lake to stand vigil... and SAW HIS BODY FLOATING OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LAKE!
They proceeded to re-alert the authorities.

Horrible tragedy...
Autopsy will happen today
kypdurran
on 7/28/08 4:07 am - Baton Rouge, LA

After the dude died at the Gulf Coast Triathlon in Florida that prompted me to go get a thorough workup on my heart.   I wanted to make sure that carrying the weight that I did for as long as I did did f*&# my heart.   Thankfully everything checked out OK. 

This is just tragic and I hate to see it happen.   I'm curious what the autopsy reveals.

Linn D.
on 7/28/08 7:47 am - Missoula, MT
Hey AJ!

As I always tell myself, you did the best you could under the circomstances.  Sounds like everything went great for you until the Heed.  I bet you NEVER forget your Clif Shot Blocks again!

It IS very upsetting to hear about the swim deaths this season, and this case in particular with all the family involvement.  I'm glad you made it through!

Let us know when you have your race report done.  I read them all.

Linn
Rob S.
on 7/28/08 10:13 am - DE
A.J.,
Your worst is my dream.  Keep clugging away.  Have you tried Sport Beans, I find them even easier to digest than the Shot Blocks.  Look forward to your report.  Tragedy for that person and his family. 
Rob
Most Active