Hydration Packs/ Camel baks

puddin2day
on 7/28/08 3:23 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Everyone,

For anyone who runs or bikes... Do you use a hydration pack or a Camel bak and if so which model you like and why?  I am considering buying one after running 10 miles.  My hydration belt (20 oz. total) was simply not enough hydrate me during my run.
Thanks a lot.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

MyQnA
on 7/28/08 9:53 pm
I don't use either but I am curious about a hydration belt.  Where do you buy those?

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

puddin2day
on 7/29/08 1:21 am - Los Angeles, CA

You can purchase the hydration belt at a running store or online.

Mifiremedic
on 7/28/08 11:01 pm - MI
Kim,

I dont camel back/Hydration Packs. I'm a little unsure of the extra weight and having it throw off my "mojo". However I have a fuel belt that can hold 4 bottles (small). It also has a small pouch to hold a Gu, keys, etc.

Maybe if I was to do a 50-100 mile bike ride I might look into a camel back.

One last thing, when I used my fuel belt in a 10K race, I only used in between aid stations when I really needed a drink. Really tried to drink at aid stations.

Good luck
puddin2day
on 7/29/08 1:25 am - Los Angeles, CA
I liked the idea of using my fuel belt in between aid stations.  Great idea!  
On my ten mile run, my two bottles just wasn't enough for me.   I don't want to have to fill out after I have run out. 
Thank you.

Mifiremedic
on 7/29/08 1:40 am - MI
Youre so very welcome. If two bottles arent enough, look at getting the 4 bottle fuel belt. I bought the 4 bottle type, but only use 2 bottles most of the time...

Happy running..
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 11:01 am
I use one and love it! It is so much easier to ge****er in that way and for me it crucial - I hate stopping or slowing down to grab a bottle, so I wouldn't drink enough and always got sick.

One recommendation if you do get one, spend the money on an actual Camelbak - don't go for the cheap imitations. Everyone told me the same thing, I ended up buying a cheap one and all it did was leak.  They have tons of different models, I would recommend going to REI or whatever store that has quite a few, try different ones on and run around with them in the store. The guy who helped me even put extra weight in the pack to simulate what it would feel like to run with the weight. I ended up buying a biking camelbak, they tend to be more compact/smaller and are easier to manage when you run. I never thought I would enjoy using it but I can't imagine not having it now - it makes a difference.

Good luck!

puddin2day
on 7/30/08 1:53 am - Los Angeles, CA
I was looking at the hydration packs at REI .  Then I went to REI's website.    Is a biking camelbak the ones that are extra low and the description says that it will not get in the way of a helmet?  Do you run or go bike riding?  How many ounces is your camelbak?  Do you own the cleaning kit also?  If so, how you like using it?  Thank you for your comments.

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/08 9:21 am
The one I have is for biking and yes, it does hang lower due to the helmet. But they are also a little easier to handle when running - I do use it for biking and running but my running is all trail running. I mostly run adventure races and you are required to have certain equipment for races so you pretty much have to have some sort of pack and having one with a hydration system works best. I've got to admit it was hard to get use to having it on when I was running but now it just seems like second nature.

I actually got a 100 ounce one, but that is because most adventure races require that size. But I have found it's perfect and really works well for hiking. I don't have to fill it up completely but have the space in case I'll be out for a long trip. 

Another suggestion I would make is to get one made for women, it really does make a difference since our torsos are shorter and these are designed to accomodate that. I do own the cleaning kit but haven't used it yet, I usually just rinse it out with warm water. I have heard that if you put any type of sport drink or electrolyte drink that you definitely need to use the cleaning kit - there are many stories of mold growing within hours if you don't clean that stuff out!

Hope this helps - good luck finding one you like!

fooseberry
on 7/30/08 11:52 am - E Falmouth, MA
I am running a 10k in a couple of weeks and am worried there won't be enough water stops for me. I was considering a belt but want something discrete.
Post op -306
Current - 189
Goal - 171
Come to my Blog and say Hello!      http://fooseberrypie.blogspot.com/
Fooseberry Pie
Most Active