sports bra and good running shoe recomendation

kago16
on 7/27/08 11:28 pm - central pa, PA
Hello.

I need some advise. I just started a couch to running program. it is going well however my boobs go fly everywhere.

I am still a very big girl. i wear a 46DDD bra and i need a reasonable priced sports bra that will provide good support for me.

I also would like a recomendation for good running shoes.

Please tell me the names of these products, where i can get them, and URL if you have it.

Thanks in advance!

370/255/150---High/current/goal

Linn D.
on 7/28/08 12:12 am, edited 7/28/08 12:16 am - Missoula, MT
I've heard of the Enell bras that are supposed to be very supportive for larger busted women, but I've never used one.  I've found them on roadrunnersports.com and you do buy them in your bra size, but I'm not sure how much they cost.  They may also have a website (most likely), but I'm not sure.  This IS one investment I wouldn't skimp on because you want to feel good while doing your running!  What I use is the Hind Motion Sensor bra ($45) with a top that has a shelf bra in it and I don't move around nearly as much as with the bra alone.

As far as running shoes go, your best bet would be to find a runner's specific shop near you.  I'm not talking foot locker or department stores, they won't know how to fit you.  People who work at runner's stores are also runners and the one in my town also coaches.  They look at your gait and have you try on different pairs that fit your foot strike.  You can find the same shoes online for a little less, but knowing you have the right shoe makes all the difference in the world.  Your feet will thank you! 

By the way, I paid $90 for my most recent running shoes, so it's another investment that's worth the money.  If your feet hurt, you won't do it.  I bought 2 pairs so I can swtch off every time I run.  Expect to buy them about once every 3-6 months depending on how much you do.  Right now I'm at 25 miles/week, so my shoes will only last 3 months at the most.  The heavier you are, the shorter they will last as well.  I'm a heavier runner (155#) who likes the lighter shoes, so mine rarely last the 300 miles you'd expect.

One other thing.  We don't have much extra money either, but the investment in these good quality items is very important to my overall well-being, so I think of it as VERY worth it.  I don't buy lattes anymore so I can have my running gear.

I hope this was somewhat helpfuf.  Others will likely have some good advice as well.

Linn
Elisa K.
on 7/28/08 2:14 am - Lumberton, NJ
I agree with Linn - go to a running specific store, and get fitted for a pair of shoes - it will make all the difference!!  

I personally wear Champion underwire sports bras - I love them.  Unfortunately, sports bras for us D-cup and up girls are not cheap - I paid $40 for mine.  I also was fitted at the running store for the sports bra - they should be able to help you with that also.  Once I found the bra I liked, I went to the Champion web site.  They were having a half off all bras sale, so I stocked up - LOL!!   So I suggest being fitted for a good bra at the running store, then you can try to find it cheaper online.  But, like I said, we larger chested girls will have to pay more for a good bra.

Good luck!!

K B (Tucson)
on 7/28/08 8:54 am - Tucson, AZ
I can't help help with shoes, but "Just My Size" (jms.com) has sports clothing for plus sized women, including a large selection of sports bras, as well as bras, panties for every day use.  I bought from them before my wls and their quality is good and have a large selection of name brands to choose from.
Sansabiel
on 7/28/08 12:15 pm - Houston, TX
 I'm just a beginner, but I found some BestForm sports bras at Academy that I like so far. I wear a 34D so I don't have quite the requirements you do, but I'm 16 months post-op, nearly 53, and sagging everywhere, so I need lots of support and motion restriction. I got a size 34 and it's kind of tight, which means I don't bounce when I'm running, which is very important for me, there is a large population of residents here in Singapore who disapprove of women in public in general, I don't want my clothing to make me a target for resentment. These also come in fun colors which makes me happier to wear them, I got hot pink and lime green, and love them. Get out there with us and have fun!
Sherry_Berry
on 7/30/08 9:27 am - Dacula, GA
The ones that keep me from bouncing are the ENELL bras. I can't wear them with my Skirt stuff b/c of the wide back...

I need to check out the champion underwire...does it REALLY keep you in place?
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/08 2:02 pm - Palmdale, CA
Well,  I can't tell  you what sports bra to wear.  I went from a 46ddd to a 34a.   I think that that is only skin though.  So I probably have no boobs.  As for shoes I have several pairs  I am still considered a big runner160lbs.  I wear a mens shoe for the width. I love my shoes though.  Like wearing mattresses on my feet.  They feel very light.  Forget foot locker or sports chalet.... go to a running specialty store.  I get Brooks Beast.
Liz
Most Active