Conquered my 1st 10k!

Brian W.
on 7/27/08 6:48 am - Belmont, CA
So today I made the trek to Santa Cruz to take on the Wharf-to-Wharf 10k that I've been training for the last 2 months. 

Race started at 8:30 am, but took about 10 min to wade through all the people, baby strollers and kids.  I think I will try to get closer to the front next time as the slower people were not staying to the right as told and there had to be ppl walking that started up in the 6 minute area. 

My splits as best I recall

Mile 1- 19:00
Mile 2: 30:30
Mile 3: 42:25
Mile 4: 52:00
Mile 5: 1:03
Finish: 1:13:53.

Also there were various bands playing along the side of the road and the run was along the beach, which was nice scenery.

Looking forward to my next 10k, Aug 30th.  10k by the Bay at the Hayward Shoreline.

Pretty happy w/ my performance overall though..

Brian
~350
Linn D.
on 7/27/08 7:40 am - Missoula, MT

CONGRATS, BRIAN!

Pretty cool doing that first 10k.  It's also nice having bands along the way.  That's one of the things I like best about the Rock and Roll marathons and halfs.

One day I'd like to do a race by the beach.  Sounds like you had a really good time doing this one, and your splits were pretty consistent once you got going.  We all learn something from each race we do, and they get easier mentally as well as physically.

Good luck on the next!

Linn

Brian W.
on 7/27/08 10:18 am - Belmont, CA
Thanks.  I'm working up to my first Rock and Roll Half-Marathon in San Jose on October 5th.  I figure I will have 2 10ks under my belt and be able to finish in about 2:45 (or sooner)

Brian
~350
Scott William
on 7/27/08 9:07 am
Boy, that must have been a big race.  Congrats on finishing and if you subtract the 10 min start it's a respectable time.  Way to go!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Brian W.
on 7/27/08 10:14 am - Belmont, CA
Yea it was pretty big.  About 15,000 people I think.  They only had the course open for 1.5 hours, so not sure how many people actually finished.

But yea, my time minus 10 min was where my training runs were at, so I was on pace

Brian
~350
MaryS
on 7/27/08 9:20 am - Long Island, NY
Brian,

Congratulations!  It is tough when people don't line in the right place.  Isn't it great to have the bands along the way.  Good luck training for the next one!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Brian W.
on 7/27/08 10:16 am - Belmont, CA
I tell ya, nothing worse than getting a good pace going and someone in front of you decides to stop and pose for a picture with their friends

Brian
~350
JennyA
on 7/27/08 11:21 am - Eagan, MN
Congrats on some respectable times. 

Yesterday I intentionally stayed away from the people with strollers and DOGS who were gathering at the start.  Dogs?

Good luck on the next one.

J
on 7/27/08 11:59 pm - MI
 Great Job Brian... Now youre hooked....

Curt
Kevin A.
on 7/28/08 1:34 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Nice run!!
But are you ready for some football!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active