Bun Run 5K

panhead58fl
on 7/27/08 12:56 am - Barboursville, WV
Hi everyone, did my latest 5K yesterday. It is part of a local hot dog festival, hence the name Bun Run. There were 350 entered, I came in 150 overall. My time was 25:33 which comes out to a 8:14 pace. Plan on another one next month. I would like to get in the 24's then.  I really need to start closer to the front. I waste time at the begining of the race trying to get around people.

Is it just me?  Is it just a man thing? When I did my first one I just wanted to finish. Now I want to place in my age divison. The only thing is these guys run anywhere from 20:00 was the first place finisher and the third place guy was around 22:00 something. Pretty good for a bunch of old guys if you ask me.

pan head
Seht
on 7/27/08 1:02 am
Hey Congrats.  I can't even imagine myself running that fast.  Keep up the great work.

I can see wanting the same thing.  My first race which is still upcoming, I just want to complete it without walking.

I can absolutely see myself wanting to be competative after that.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Rob S.
on 7/27/08 2:46 am - DE
Hey pan head,
congratulations!  You are flying over that course.  You are right.  I think those competitive juices do seem to keep us moving.  But the men here on the East Coast seem to get better with age.  Most of them have been running since birth.  So I gave up hoping to place many moons ago.  Although one tip is to look for the inagural races that are on the same day as other races so that you have less competition.  At least you can get yourself a medal that way.
Rob
Linn D.
on 7/27/08 5:34 am - Missoula, MT
Congratulations Pan Head!  Great time, by the way.

As far as competitive juices go, it's not just a man thing.  I like to place in the top half of my age group.  There are lots of great athletes here in Missoula, Montana so placing is not something that will happen soon with me (unless the race is tiny).  I just keep going and try to get faster.  It does take some time.

Keep up the great work!

Linn
MaryS
on 7/27/08 9:32 am - Long Island, NY
Congratulations - that is a great time! 

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

kypdurran
on 7/28/08 4:10 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Great pace speedy!   You're gonna be placing before you know it!

Most Active