Barre, VT 5K report.

Scott William
on 7/27/08 12:01 am
I am not sure what is going on but I had another sub par 5K yesterday.  I have not run a good or even an okay 5K in months.  I guess that I have not been doing much speed work specific to the 5K but I am still in good shape.  The times of my last two 5K's have been around the time of my first over two years ago.

Anyway, this was my first race in Vermont.  I got aquainted with the hills in the first 1/4 mile.  We must have gone up 200 feet in that 1/4 mile.  Boy was it steep.  Anyway, after that we ran on a shaded bike path for about a mile and a half and then there was about a mile on the hot city streets.  I HATE summer races.  I crossed the finish in about 27:15, 3 minutes slower than my PR.  Oh well.  The cool thing was that we say a family that we used to vacation with about 20 years ago.  Good people.

The after race ice cream was a good treat also.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 7/27/08 1:03 am
Congrats on another success!

Keep up the good work.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

misstilly
on 7/27/08 1:18 am - Cosby, TN
Good word Scott.  I would like to get close to a 30:00 min finish.  I have a race coming up Aug 9 so I am hoping for a better time.  I have been running outside at home on some hills, probably not a much as I should due to the heat.  The humidity is terrible at 7am so I haven't been doing a lot outside.  the hills can be tough.
Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Rob S.
on 7/27/08 2:56 am - DE
Hey Scott...
Good job.  I'm having the same problem.  I think all the distance work is cramping my tmes on the 5k.  Of course your worst is probably my best.  Could it be the ice cream...   Who knows?
Rob
Scott William
on 7/27/08 9:04 am
I often wonder about the ice cream.   I know it can't make me faster.
Scott

Linn D.
on 7/27/08 5:16 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Scott!

Congratulations on another one completed respectably.  It's still fun doing them, right?  Though your times aren't what you'd like to see, it's still good to do the short ones also.  Pat yourself on the back for another one finished and save the race number with all the rest.  It's all good.  Hills are pretty rough on the time anyway.

I'm with Rob about distance training interfering with the shorter races.  It's really hard to get going quickly sometimes when you're used to the distances - and it's not about being fit.  I'd hate to see what I'd do on a 5k since I haven't really done much good speed work in over a month.

Until the next one (maybe in cooler weather)...

Linn
Scott William
on 7/27/08 9:05 am
I can't wait until it's cooler.  I think it will help a lot.

It is tough to keep perspective but any race finished is a good one!  Check that.  Any race started is a good one.
Scott

MaryS
on 7/27/08 9:23 am - Long Island, NY
Scott,

Congrats on getting in another race.  I think the heat is a big factor this year.  I wouldn't worry about your time (I need to tell myself that too) the important thing is that you are out there doing it!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

puddin2day
on 7/28/08 2:39 am - Los Angeles, CA
Scott,

Congrats on getting another 5K under your belt.  Be happy in the fact that you finished in a respectable time, especially dealing with hills.  The heat can definitely be a factor.  I know because I had to deal with it this past Saturday myself.

Kim

Without struggle, there is no progress.

Most Active