Preparing for 1st 5k-Couch to 5K program

hockeyhottie
on 7/27/08 12:05 am - Madison Heights, MI
Thought I might find some fellow OHer's who are also training or have trained for a 5K. I am not a runner but trying to fake it.

I just celebrated 4 years out and have been maintaining my weight for the last two years, however I am up about 20 pounds from lowest weight of 124.

I have a running buddy and we are in the middle of week three of the program. Just  complete a 5K walk on Belle Isle yesterday. We did our training program and walked the rest in 54 minutes which isn't so spectacular but we finished. Since neither of us has ever done anything like that we thought it might be a good idea to ger a prelim of the event before the actual run we want to do on Sept 7 at the Detroit Zoo.

we normally run in the morning (7 AM) so I was not prepared for the heat at 10 AM. Is there something we should do to get our bodies more acclimated to the heat/humidity? I am also feeling a bit light-headed after our run. I have rather low blood pressure which may be the issue but I am wondering if there is something to counter-act that?

Looking forward to giving and receiving support to other runners, newbie and not-so-newbie. :-D

Mel
Linn D.
on 7/27/08 5:23 am - Missoula, MT
Mel,

All are welcome here!  There are lots of newbies and not-so-newbies on this forum.  Many are also in the process of trainng for their first 5k and others have only done a few.  Still others are training for triathlons and much longer races.

There are quite a few knowledgeable folks here, so feel free to ask anything.  We all had to start somewhere and the support is great.

Have fun with your program!

Linn
Serenity08
on 7/27/08 10:59 am - NH
I have just started the couch to 5k - I'm starting week 3 tomorrow.  I am still presurgery - and have a 100 lbs to lose.   I'm able to do the running on the treadmill - but haven't made that onto the street yet.

Serenity

liz A.
on 7/28/08 12:11 am

hey you!  :)

I feel moving to west Michigan will help your training program A LOT.  (just sayin)

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

hockeyhottie
on 7/28/08 7:12 am - Madison Heights, MI
No... I think you should move down here!

Then you could have some running support AND be part of our indie movie group too! Fun, fun!

When are you running you ext 5K?
liz A.
on 7/28/08 7:20 am
no clue!! 

p.s.  the D *IS* nearer an ikea...but then I'm FURTHER from chicago....hmmmm....

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Linn D.
on 7/28/08 12:39 am - Missoula, MT
I just read your post again, and it occurred to me that your dizziness might be related to low blood sugar.  Do you eat anything an hour or so before you run?  If not, you should try that.  I generally eat a banana before I exercise.  Until your body is used to building glycogen stores, you may not have enough usable fuel for your runs.  Also be diligent about your iron intake.  Runners lose iron from the feet pounding and sweating.

As far as acclimatizing goes, running in all weather types makes it easier to race in all weather types.  That's about the extent of it.

Let us know how things are progressing for you!

Linn
fooseberry
on 7/30/08 11:59 am - E Falmouth, MA
Congrats!!!
I finished the Couch 2 5K in early July and have finished about 3 -5K races so far. I do try to get better but have found the weather is a huge factor. The last race I went way up in time but after some of the first finishers said it was one of the worst days to race due to the heat.
I basically just want to finish and keep up a regualr running plan.
I am attempting a 7 mile road race in a few weeks and am planning on walking part but i just want to complete it. it is my major goal after WLS.
I recommend this program to all and some of my co-workers are also starting it.
Enjoy
Jennifer
Post op -306
Current - 189
Goal - 171
Come to my Blog and say Hello!      http://fooseberrypie.blogspot.com/
Fooseberry Pie
Most Active