Running on a treadmill

Jen L
on 7/23/08 9:26 am - Central, IN
I am in my 4th week of the C25K.  Until this week, I have done all of my training outside.  Well, this week is really hot so I went down to our basement and did my intervals on the treadmill.  Obviously, running on a treadmill is easier than road running - so I used a 1% incline. 

So I am wondering, in order to make treadmill running more like road running, how should I vary my workout?  Should I just increase the incline?  I've done a few searches on the net about road running vs treadmill workouts without out much insight.  I would just really like to hear some "expert" opinions on this!!

Thanks,
Jennifer
Scott William
on 7/23/08 12:51 pm
I have heard from the "experts" that it is indeed more work running on the road than on a treadmill.  Studies have shown that you use more oxygen running naturally than on a TM, thus, it's harder.  I have found that I get all I need and more from a treadmill.  If you are looking to qualify for the 2012 olympics in a running event, then you may need to know all the specifics.  If you are looking to improve your health, I wouldn't even worry about it.  You will get what you need from the treadmill.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 7/24/08 4:34 am - Missoula, MT
As many here know, I do nearly all my training on a tread.  The incline is a good idea as it does simulate the way your muscles work while running on the road better.  I've heard 1-1.5% is good.  You can do hills and speed work on a tread with good success as well.

Another school of thought I recently read says that people often work a little harder on the tread because it forces you to stay at a constant speed even though road running is physically harder.  I'm happy with my progress using the tread and don't see a reason to run outside at this point in time.  It's one of those personal preferences with reasons all our own.  As long as you're happy with how things are going, great!

Linn
Jce3g
on 7/24/08 2:15 pm - MI
I am not good with pacing running outside.  I have been running outside all summer but have switched back to the treadmill at the gym because it forces me to keep a certain pace.  While it is harder to run outside it seems i keep my heart rate higher and for longer periods on the treadmill.  I guess I need some thing external to make me go

MUSTREAD

stellalukin
on 7/28/08 5:02 am - Cambridge, MA
I have heard that if you set the incline to 2% it simulates running outside.
I am currently training for a race that is rolling hills on blacktop, and am using the workouts suggested here:
http://www.runningplanet.com/training/treadmill-hill-workouts.html
to help me prepare for some of the steep hills. So far, so good.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

Most Active