exercise for fat pockets on hips

winning714
on 7/22/08 1:49 pm - Edmond, OK
Hi everyone,  I'm 3 months out and am wondering what kinds of exercises I need to do to get rid of those fat lumps on the tops of your butt or hips.  Or, just tell me what that area of the body is called, and I can google it.  I'm talking about the part that makes a large person's (me) butt look square rather than rounded.  ---- or someday "curvy".

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Start 333  current 167  goal 158

trophywifeintraining
on 7/23/08 5:43 pm - oak view, CA
Does nobody have tips on this? I have an ass shelf that needs to go! I have bee walking/ jogging, doing squats with leg lifts, and lunges and its still here.. please someone help!!!
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/08 7:24 pm - Island Heights, NJ
What you are talking about is a widely perpetuated myth called "spot reducing"

Here's a clipping from one on the thousands of articles that tries to explain why targeting a certain area of the body is a waste of time... hope this helps!

Good Luck
-A.J.

If one watches television, reads magazines and listens to people at the gym, we are inundated with the notion that we truly can reduce body fat from specific targeted areas through weight training. Look at all the crazy machines that make claims that this is possible. "The butt this and the ab that". It all goes into the area called gym science, there is no physiological or scientific basis to any of it, but due to our general ignorance surrounding the human body, we as a society are gullible and want to believe there is an easy way to produce that perfect body.

One of the most frequently asked questions involves whether or not it is possible to reduce fat in specific areas of the body. Men often want to know how to get rid of their "Love Handles" or "Spare tires" and women are interested in slimming down their hips, thighs, and buttocks. Unfortunately, it is not possible to spot reduce body fat. Nor is it possible to tone fat. Each type of exercise uses it's own type of fuel.

Weight training uses Glycogen (Carbohydrates) and cardio uses glycogen and fat. Many gyms contain equipment, which appears to have the capacity to help members "firm" particular body parts (i.e. waist machines, buttocks machines). Celebrities appear in exercise videos exhorting the incredible physical changes one can make just by performing specific exercises. This type of information just serves to perpetuate the myth that it is possible to spot reduce, tone or firm body fat.

Our bodies are genetically programmed to carry a certain amount of body fat in particular areas. Women generally carry additional fat in the hip and leg areas, and men may have excessive fat around their mid section. It is not unusual to see a woman with a petite upper body and a large lower body or a man with a gut and thin legs.

In order to lose fat from any area of the body, an "energy deficit" (i.e. the amount of calories burned exceeds the calorie intake) must occur. For example, if 2500 calories are burned daily and the caloric intake is 2000, the body will turn to stored calories (body fat) to provide for the calorie deficit. People often ask which areas of their body will lose fat first. This cannot be predicted. Specific exercises cannot increase fat loss in particular body areas. The body will lose fat from where it wants when it wants. The one proven method of fat loss is a combination of proper caloric intake, supplementation and exercise.

The region of the body which first experiences a noticeable decrease in body fat will vary from person to person because it is genetically predetermined. Women may first see fat go from their upper bodies, despite the fact that their fat stores may located predominantly in their lower bodies. Men may loose fat from their arms and legs before losing fat from their back and abdominal areas. It is important that you continue and be patient with your exercise and nutrition program in order to get to those hard or stubborn areas. Eventually, you will experience fat loss in those stubborn body areas. Don't get discouraged. Stick with your plan. People don't plan to fail. They just fail to plan!
Most Active