why do you gain weight when you lift weights

jengadog
on 7/20/08 10:27 am
i have lost 140 pounds in 18 months with gasstric by pass...recently started working out but noticed i have gaines 5 pounds this month....i do 30 min cardio then lift what i think is heavy weight for a women 25 pound bicep curls 12 reps 3 sets ...chest exercises with40 lb barbell and 40 lbs barbell squats......on machines i am able to do more weight...QUESTION IS SHOULD I BE USING LESS WEIGHT I DONT WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT BUT I WANT DEFINITION IN MY ARMS AND LEGS.....PATTY.....THINKING OF HIRING A PERSONAL TRAINER...I GO TO THE GYM 4 TIMES A WEEK ON MY OWN
Kevin A.
on 7/20/08 1:08 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I always heard that muscle weights more than fat!! Sounds like great workouts but maybe a trainer can help you get your goal. I would get one but its not in my budget..

Best Wishes!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
jengadog
on 7/22/08 7:18 am
I AGREE I HAVE HEARD MUSCLE WEIGHTS MOR THAN FAT IT JUST DEPRESSING WHEN YOU WORK SO HARD AND THE SCALE MOVES UP...I THINK IM GONNA STAY OFF THE SCALE AND DO MORE CARDIO...THANKS PATTY
Scott William
on 7/20/08 2:35 pm
If you want to tone your muscles then low weight with high reps is a good methos.  3 sets of 12 is right on.  To build more bulk, more weight with less reps is key. 

If you are gaining muscle weight, I don't see what the problem is.  I can understand not wanting to put fat back on but muscle is fine.  More muscle burns more calories.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
jengadog
on 7/22/08 7:20 am
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY....MAKES SENSE ....HOPEFULLY I WILL ACHIEVE MY GOALS AS FAR AS LOOKING TONED...THQANKS PATTY
totalfreedom
on 7/21/08 8:59 am, edited 7/21/08 8:59 am - Northern CA
Hi, 

First off, congratulations on your great weight loss and cudo's for you for getting yourself to the gym.  I believe this is necessary for us to maintain our new found freedom for life.

I was down 88 pounds in 8 months , then started working out at the gym with a trainer.  I continued to lose over the next three months an additional 15 pds.  My training schedule was 3 to 4 times per week, 20 to 30 minutes of running on a treadmill.  I did one hour 3 x a week with a trainer.  We worked primarily on core exercises: abs, balancing and light weights with many reps.  I lost several inches as well.  People think I weigh 100 pds, when in fact I actually weigh in at 120.  My total inches lost in those 3 months were more then 15" (Arms, legs, waist,  hips)

I have maintained this weight level since March and have since reduced my training and running times.  I lift a little heavier weights now but still many reps and primarily work on my core muscles.  We do a 30 min routine of stepping, with handheld weights.  This is a great aerobic workout and muscle workout combined.

The advice from my trainer was as follows:

Lose fat:  run on the treadmill
tone: lighter weights with many reps
work on your core muscle groups
combine cardio activies/balancing (works core muscles)/strength training

I have found that most, if not all, of these activities I can do at home without the gym.  But I still like the committment to go to a trainer once or twice a week.  It keeps me going for now!!

Keep up the good work.  Hope this helps.

Kelli

jengadog
on 7/22/08 7:16 am
THANK YOU SO MUCH YOUR INFO WAS VERY HELPFUL........KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...THINKING OF GETTING A TRAINER FOR A FEW WEEKS TO LEARN THEN DO IT MY SELF...THANKS PATTY
Most Active