seeing results with skin/ working out

mamastaters
on 7/19/08 12:04 pm - McKinney, TX
RNY on 05/05/08 with
We just signed with Lifetime Fitness. It is a great facility and very family friendly.
I am 2 1/2 months out from RNY. I was 242 and have lost 52 pounds. I have 60 to go.
Have you all seen that an exercise regimen has helped with your excess skin? I know that it won't entirely but I am wanting to hear about your situations.
Also, what was your average weight loss by the week if for instance you are working out 4-5 days a week?
This is what I did today...I am working into things with great motivation...
20 min on treadmill/inclined heart rate maintained at fat burn
2 machines/ leg curls and squat 3 sets 10 each
core fitness / stretching 15 min
this thing that looks like the "gizelle"...Kinda like the elyptical 3-4 min's. I will try again tomorrow!

I felt like I had a great workout. On Monday I have an appt with a trainer to become better informed on equiptment.etc...

I am trying to get any advice I can from you all..I love reading about these "long' runs and all this great motivation...Anything you could pass on is great!!

by the way. do you take any addl' supplements?  Thanks, KIM
KIM 

wjoegreen
on 7/19/08 4:12 pm, edited 7/19/08 4:32 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Dear Mamastaters,

It started with walking for me and led to jogging, that led to 10Ks that led to 5 and 10Ks.  I do some minor lifting but mostly base freestyle exercises with some dumbell upper body supplemental stuff.  I have a lot less loose skin than I ever imagined.  I am 51, had surgery at age 49 at a heaviest of 408.  My lowest weight was 224 and I have stablized at 238.  I am still trying to get to 200 and a36" waist but feel great at a 40' waist and 238.  I am training to do my first 13 miles half marathon Nov 15.  My goal is to finish repectably, not to set any thing other than a personal best.  I don't expect the olympic team or the Boston marathon to come calling.  I won't be scaring any Kenyians. I haven't spend a bunch of money on anything but running shoes at an avg of $100 a pop, and I've gotten ino golfing with a $200 set of clubs.  The walking for 20+ (to 2 hrs max) minutes per outing I credit for my exercise success and skin/muslce toning.  No magic, just consistency.  NOTE: I have loose skin as warned but not  anything like I feared. I have before and after pic on my OH profile.
Good luck with whatever you pursue that works for you, but the succesful formula as I see it is protein, water, and moving.

Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
mamastaters
on 7/20/08 2:13 am - McKinney, TX
RNY on 05/05/08 with
Thanks for your reply. I hope to get to some level of running.  I think I am off to a good start.
Good luck to you also!
KIM 

jengadog
on 7/20/08 10:08 am
good luck with your weight loss and exercise program i  lost 140 pounds with by pass surgery i am 1 and half years post op  i recently had excess skin removed from my arms and breast augementation.....exercise has helped but until i had my surgery i wasnt happy with my progress.......you can only tone so much......but i am very happy now except for the fact i gained a few pounds from lifting heavy weights..... make sure you stay light with the weights if you want to continue losing.....muscle weights more than fat...patty
Linn D.
on 7/21/08 2:27 pm - Missoula, MT
Kim,

I was a lightweight when I started (40.1 BMI) and still do have some loose skin problems at a BMI of about 26.  I need to wear 2 bras and I still feel the tummy bounce when I run.  I do get sores under my breasts from sweating and rubbing when I run, but it's not enough to keep me from doing it.  Plastics are on the docket for me, but I've already lived with it for over 3 years so it's not something I can't live without for a while longer.

The only thing I would suggest for you right now with your exercise is to get your heart rate into the cardio zone even when walking on the treadmill, and do it for 30 minutes instead of just 20.  It will be much easier to start running when you're already used to working harder (walking faster).  The thing about the 'fat burn' setting is it's really not burning more fat - in fact you burn less fat because you're not working as hard!  Burning fat requires burning more calories.  When a person is in the 'fat burn' heart rate, they only burn a few percentage points more fat than carbs or protein for fuel, but also burning fewer total calories.  I've seen the calculations.  You'll burn more calories (thus more fat) if you try to keep your heart rate in the 130-140 range for now until your fitness level improves.  Your distances will also be longer in the same time frame.  I'm 42 and mine is in the 140-150 range for much of my cardio workouts.

Not trying to say you're doing badly (In fact I'm proud of you for doing this!), I just thought it was important that you know some of this.  I'm also a firm believer in exercise is mainly for health reasons and that weight loss (and maintenance) is a secondary benefit.  If you think of it that way, it's sometimes easier to see the point in having a long-term exercise program.

Linn
Most Active