Couch to 5k program

Serenity08
on 7/17/08 9:01 pm - NH
Hi all,

I started this program last week.  Did anyone speed it up with good results?  I exercise almost every day now.  This program is only 3 times a week.

Yesterday, just for kicks, after I did the 3rd workout in week 1, I decided to see if I could do 90 seconds and then when I met that I kept running until 2 minutes.  I'm thinking I could maybe speed it up since I was a couch potato when I started (was doing the elliptical for 30 plus minutes a day.

There's a 5 k in Manchester August 14th and I'm thinking about signing up for it and see how well I do - even if I do walk part of it.

Still preop
13 lbs down, 105 to go
Linn D.
on 7/17/08 10:54 pm - Missoula, MT
When I first started my program, I was doing it 5 days a week.  I didn't speed it up, but I did do the jog at relatively quick speeds. 

I'd say SIGN UP for that 5k and just do it in any way you can.  You'll find that there are lots of walkers at these events, and since your training is going well, there's a very good chance you'll be able to run the whole distance - even if it's not real fast.  You can work on speed later.

Linn
Katie L.
on 7/18/08 8:11 am - Buckeye, AZ
Hello!

I am doing the Couch to 5k program & I am in week 5. I am really enjoying the program & I'd say go at the rate you feel comfortable. I personally stay with the weeks so I don't get confused & I get that's week's conditioning before moving on.

Good luck with the program! I am a big fan!!

MaryS
on 7/18/08 9:42 am - Long Island, NY

I wouldn't recommend speeding up the program even if you feel like you can; running is very hard on the body, a lot harder than the elliptical because of the impact to your joints.  You don't want to get injured.  I would suggest following the program and let your body adjust to the new demands running places on it.  In the meanwhile you can still do the ellipitcal on the days you are not running.

You should definitely sign up for the 5k - I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!  It doesn't matter whether or not you can run the all things, only that you are out there doing it.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Jen L
on 7/18/08 10:03 am - Central, IN
I am doing week 3 myself.  I have been sticking with the program for several reasons.  Mainly, time!  I just don't have time with my odd work schedule to get more workouts in without doing it at 10pm.  And also, I don't want to over do it and burn myself out or injure myself.  I will on other days walk if I have time, but I figure the program is set up as it is for reasons beyond my knowledge!! 

I will say that on my 3 days I do the workout, I usually add a few extra intervals just because once I am done with the required intervals, I still have a fair distance to go before I get home due to the route I like to take. 

I have signed up for a 5K in August, at which point I will just be at week 8 - close enough for me.  Being signed up for a 5K really helps me to stay motivated with my workout.

Good Luck with your program!

Jennifer
arkman54
on 7/19/08 3:44 pm - Fort Smith, AR
OK, new to this forum, so could you tell me what the couch to 5k program is?  I'm DEFINATELY at the couch stage right now.  Have about 16 more lbs to lose before my RNY is scheduled.  Michael.
MaryS
on 7/19/08 9:54 pm - Long Island, NY
It is a training program to get you running:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

5'6" - 302/155-158 

pennisweet
on 7/19/08 9:33 pm - Windsor, MO
Hey all!  What is this from couch to 5 K?  I have never heard of it!  Thanks, Penni
MaryS
on 7/19/08 9:54 pm - Long Island, NY
It is a training program to get you running:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Serenity08
on 7/21/08 11:12 am - NH
Thanks for all the responses! 

Go figure -- Friday I did the 2nd week 1st day and got through it.  I did that at the gym.  Sunday, I tried to do it again -- this time at home outside and it was humid -- I couldn't get through it.  I ended up walking for the workout instead.  I'm going to try again tomorrow and hopefully I do better.

Serenity

Most Active