NET OR TOTAL CALORIES. WHICH DO YOU GO BY?

andrea K.
on 7/17/08 1:14 am - near Huntsville, AL
Im a lil confused. Should I go by my total calories or my net calories? I use fitday and I consume around 950-1100 calories a day, but when I put in my exercise for the day, it drops around 500 calories. Im just concerned that Im not getting enough in. I exercise all the time and eat right but Im not losing. Just discouraged.

292/279/183/155  highest/surgery/current/goal

Seht
on 7/17/08 1:26 am
I have been struggling with the same question.
Trying to balance enough food, with the exercise, but I am still working on losing weight.  I'm not at goal yet.

I'm also not convinced that the amount of calories listed for different exercises is correct, so that also messes up the math.  One chart will say I burned 200 calories, but the bike computer says I burned 66 calories, and another web site may say somewhere inbetween.

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I hope someone does.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

JeremyGentles
on 7/18/08 12:40 pm - Johnson City, TN
Hello Scott,
See my response to Andrea in this thread and let me know if this is something you would be interested in. Thanks.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

andrea K.
on 7/17/08 1:41 am - near Huntsville, AL
your obviously on the right track. look at your results. WOW. i've got more to lose than you and your still a newby. CONGRATS! 

292/279/183/155  highest/surgery/current/goal

wjoegreen
on 7/17/08 1:47 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I use the calorie counter for calories burned on mapmyrun but try not to get too wrapped around the axle with then numbers (but don't ignore them either, they are important,...gotta use more than taking in to lose,..no magic).

That being said, my two cents here; exercise tightens, tones, and firms muscles,...maybe even builds some muscle.  Firm muscles weigh more than small or flabby skin/fatty muscle.  Yo may not be losing pounds according to teh scale but I'd be surprised if your body dimensions are not changing.  I lost the most clothign size waise when the scales were stuck. Like wise when the scales were dropping, I wasn't losing clothing sizes,...a real confusing revelation in my WL journey.  Exercising also seemd to increase my appetite and it did becuse I was burning more and need more protein and carbs to sustain the exercise I was putting in training for runs, etc and keeping my energy levels and muscle repair.

The good side is, while the scale may not be moving, there are two real upsides.  1. your body rearranges and appearance improves as yo get healthier.  2. You build more muscle tissue that allows you to burn more calories in the long term which will be a HUGE aid in maintaining your long term weight loss and health.

I fell you fruastrationa s I have yet to get to my goal of 200 lbs and a 36 waist. But I am able to jog 5 miles, play 9-18 holes of golf, works a full 8-10 day, do activities with family and organizations after work, cut the grass on Saturday and not be toast for the day, etc. etc.  It is a much mproved way of life and I'll take the 238 lbs and 40 waist but I haven't stopped trying to eat right and exercise to get down to that elusive goal.  I also want to run farther and get faster thanks to the motivation from others on this Exercise and Fitness board's posters.

Just work the plan and the plan works. Don't get too frustrated as the most succesful weight loss comes off slower than faster.  You are doing the right things and doing a great job!  Just stay with it and keep posting.

Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
JeremyGentles
on 7/18/08 12:40 pm - Johnson City, TN
Hello Joe,
See my response to Andrea in this thread and let me know if this is something you would be interested in. Thanks.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS

wjoegreen
on 7/19/08 12:20 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I am always interested in learning and you have the credentials so I'll say yes, count me in,.... but I am skeptical as I hear from a few of those that attended the Asburn VA OH Conference earlier this year that you gave a pretty upsetting lecture on the value of exercise in the WLS journey.  Bad billing, accurate account,  or misunderstood? I dunno.  

I appreciate your efforts to help and give input so I gotta give you the benefit of the doubt.

Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
JeremyGentles
on 7/19/08 1:46 am - Johnson City, TN
Sounds good Joe. Look forward to clearing up any misunderstandings.

It is sometimes interesting to see the responses when you present evidence that contradicts what most people hear about exercise through traditional media. Generally my presentations consist of talking about what is and what is not possible with exercise after bariatric surgery. Most individuals choose to focus on the weight loss beneftis associated with exercise. Unfortunately, exercise does not dramatically influence total weight loss after WLS. This can become problematic when most individuals focus on weight loss with exercise instead of the plethora of health and functional benefits that are CERTAINLY achievable through exercise.

This is not to say that exercise and/or physical activity does not increase long term weight loss maintenance, as it certainly does. But, total weight loss and the long term maintenance of weight loss are entirely different. 

Check out the link below to kind of get the jist of what I generally talk about.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,11239/mode,c ontent/a,cms/

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS

JeremyGentles
on 7/19/08 1:54 am, edited 7/19/08 3:58 am - Johnson City, TN
Does Wednesday at 7pm EST work?

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS

wjoegreen
on 7/19/08 4:17 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I can make that work if I don't get called out of town; I have a daughter going to Church girls camp for the week 2.5 hours northwest of home and I'm on stand-by for emergencies.  Last year I had to take a parent to pick up his daughter that broke her ankle on the first evening (Monday). Hopefully all will go better this year. 
Yes I can do Wednesday barring crisis.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active