Swim Lessons tonight

Seht
on 7/16/08 7:54 am
So one of my co-workers who is a swim coach at one of the local high schools has offered to watch me and give me some training pointers tonight.

Is there anything I should tell him about the triathlon swim that might change his suggestions or guide him in giving me a plan for my workout?

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Chris Zane
on 7/16/08 8:17 am
If you will be swimming the triathlon in open water, he should teach you how to look up to see if you are on course.  It kind of messes up your stroke when you do that, so it would be good to practice.
kypdurran
on 7/16/08 11:08 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Yeah Scott.  Sighting is important.   That's a skill that can make or break you in open water. 
Seht
on 7/16/08 1:08 pm
Well the first thing we worked on was my breathing cadence or lack there of.  I was pretty much head down and paddle until I had to take a breath or drown.  We fixed that, and the swim feels much better.

We then progressed into proper leg work, kicking from the hips instead of the knees.  That was ok, but when I had to concentrate on both the breathing and the kicking invariably one of them would end up going by the wayside.

We then worked on modifying my breathing so that I would be able to sight my destination.

It was good.  I felt better, and now I have something to work on besides just grinding laps. 

He is going to check back in and hit me with some more lessons after I have had a week or two to digest and practice what we went over today.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active