Question for the runners. . .

Jen L
on 7/14/08 2:13 pm - Central, IN

I am currently doing the Couch to 5K program - I'm on week 3.  I have done several 5Ks in the past and a half Marathon in May.  In all of the previous races, I did a walk/run type of thing. (My last time was 35:45.)  My goal at this point is to completely run the next 5K I am signed up for on August 23rd. 

Of course I did no exercise between the half Marathon in May and when I started the C25K program.  And I won't have time to do the full 9 weeks of the program, only 8 weeks.  At this point, my longest run has been 3 minutes.  The 3 minutes is doable, but my legs are getting tired and my breathing is hard by the time the 3 minutes is up.  At this point, I haven't really been sore after a workout, as if I really pushed it.  And I usually do a little extra running in addition to what the program says to do.

Here is my question -- do most of you who run actually run without ever walking even for 30 seconds or a minute?  I am scared I will not be able to do this race without needing to walk for a bit here and there.  I am the type that would rather walk very fast than jog really slow.  I am trying to work on slowing down my pace.  Also, I don't think I can drink and run at the water stations!!

I really want to run this 5K without any walking, but I am worried that it won't happen -- at least by August 23rd.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Cassie W.
on 7/14/08 8:46 pm

Jennifer,  I've run two marathons, two half marathons and several 5Ks/10Ks and still use walking as a tool to enable me to a) reset my pace if I've gone out too fast and can't get my breathing under control; b) to allow me to drink at a water station without inhaling it up my nose; or c) for hot hot days when running all out would be dangerous.  It seems that that little breather allows me to run a faster pace overall because I'm in better control.

It sounds like you do need to slow your pace down a little bit in these early weeks.  Even though you have 8 weeks instead of 9, that's still plenty of time to rebuild given your previous running experience.

Good luck,

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 7/14/08 9:26 pm - Missoula, MT

Jennifer,

For the more experienced runners on the board you'll find that walking depends mostly on the distance.  I don't walk when I do 5/10k races, but have needed to during a half or full marathon.  I don't stop to drink anything during shorter races, either, but I don't drink when I train so my body is used to that.  I have more trouble needing pit stops, but when I NEED a drink, I walk through the water stations.  Most people do.

How closely do you watch the clock during the run times?  That can actually cause anxiety and make you more tired.  Also, if your goal is to run the whole 5k, I would agree with slowing your pace for now.  Once you get to where you can run the whole distnce, it's a lot easier than you might think to increase your run speed.

You'll do great.  Just have a little faith in yourself!

Linn

wbfine
on 7/14/08 11:10 pm - Franklin, MA

Hi Jen,

As a "graduate" of C25K, I know exactly where you are right now, although I had absolutely NO previous running experience prior to starting the program.  I stuck to the program religiously (never ran more than specified) and found that I was truly prepared for running a 5K.  

I've found that I take more walk breaks when I'm out training than I do when I'm in a race.  I think the adrenaline that competition brings out keeps me going, but I find myself much more likely to take a break when I'm alone on the road.  When in the gym, I do a 45 minute treadmill run (usually around 8:30/mile) without stopping or drinking, and I've never walked during a 5K race, but I did take a short walk break (1 minute) at around the 3 mile mark in my first 5 mile race.  Again, this is what works for me........and everyone's different.  In the end, you really do have to listen to your own body and walk when you need to.

As far as water stations are concerned, I avoid them like the plague.  Now granted, I've only done short races so far, but I figure that for any race under an hour, I'm probably fairly well hydrated already and don't need anything while on course.  I imagine that as my training distances increase and my race distances increase (I'll be doing my first half marathon in October), I'll start to drink while on course, but for now, I run right through them.  

Best of luck,

Bill 

Chris Zane
on 7/15/08 8:48 am
I also started the couch to 5k program.  I did it many months ago (like back in Feb).  I was doing great in the first few weeks, but then suddenly in the 5th and 6th week it has a day where it says run for 20 or 25 minutes continuously without walking.  I never got past that step and just continued running / walking. 

Since I was training for a sprint triathlon at the time, I didn't worry too much about it because I figured I could walk some of the 5k.  Since then though it has really bugged me that I can't run a whole 5k - I think I'm going to do one in a couple weeks.  So just this week, I decided on my training runs,  was just going to bite the bullet and do it - just not stop and walk.  So for the last two days, I've tried that and I have run 15 and 18 minutes straight - a miracle for me.  I started out and ran most of the way slower than I usually do  and that made a big difference.  If I can build up and run the whole 5k, it will be interesting to see if my time decreases.  I think my best 5k is around 34 or 35 minutes.

I find when I run/walk, I tend to beat some of the really slow runners.  I'll drop back when I'm walking, but then pass them when I'm running.

So, anyway, just remember this isn't the last chance to do a 5k for you.  Try to run as much as ou can, but if you can't do it all, just keep training and try another one.  It will give you something to work towards.
misstilly
on 7/15/08 9:08 am - Cosby, TN
I have done 2 5k's and have walked in both of them.  the second one I increased my time and didn't walk as much.  I have a mental thing I need toget past so that is why I end up walking some.  I am doing another 5K  Aug 9 I think it is and I am hoping I will be able to run the whole thing.  I do most of my training on a treadmill and am able to run for 4 miles on that so I know my problem is in myhead.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Jen L
on 7/16/08 2:49 am - Central, IN
Thanks everyone for the great advice and support.  I'm going to keep with the program and I know I can do this.  If I walk, it is not the end of the world -- I'll be doing another one in September.

In addition to my regular training program, I went out and walk/jogged a 5K course last night just to see where I stand on time.  I did it in 34:20.  I was happy with that especially considering I walked nearly half of it.

And thanks to everyone for inspiring me to keep going.  I enjoy reading about what everyone else is doing and accomplishing!

Thanks,
Jennifer
Most Active