Missoula Half Marathon Report

Linn D.
on 7/14/08 12:11 pm - Missoula, MT

Hi All!

I woke up Sunday morning (4:00) and did my normal morning routine of 2 cups of coffee and a banana.  Tried to take a shower but had major plumbing problems so I was waylaid for a while.  Anyway, we were running late so I was lucky the start wasn't too far from home.  I got there in plenty of time to stand in the porta potty lines, but just as I was about 4th in line, the cannon blew that signalled the start (6:00).  Needless to say, I decided to see if I could make it without and began my trek to the start.  Because I was still in the potty lines, there were many walkers and slower runners to try to maneuver through, so it was more than 2 miles before I really started getting into the groove.  But along the way, we say a bald eagle in a tree just beyond some cattle on the river side of the road, some turkeys gobbled at us from a hillside, and we got some great views of the river.  All in all, it was a gorgeous Montana morning.

I finally start getting into my groove, when at around mile 3 I realize there's no way I'm going to make it the whole race wihout emptying the bladder, so at the next aid station I wait in line to use the potty (time lost) since I wasn't able to go before the race. 

I get back going and I'm getting into my stride again and just enjoying the scenery.  The weather was great and the outskirts of town really are lovely.  I hit mile 5 and uh-oh!  I start getting the abdominal cramps I know are going to cause me problems soon.  So I slow my pace a little so I can make it to the next aid station just past mile 6.  I ended up needing to wait in line there as well (more time lost besides time in thge potty), but felt much better.

Getting going again, the course meandered through residential parts of town and was really very pleasant.  Had the same difficulty just past mile 8 and made it to the aid station near mile 9 only to wait again for the potty.

Right around mile 10 I thought to myself, "All I have left is a 5k, just like getting off the bike during a triathlon.  No sweat."  The route continued to meander through town, and just as we pass one of the local high schools, I realize the finish is pretty close now, so I increase my pace a little until we end up on the road the finish is on.  One nice thing about the finish is that it's on the down side of the bridge over the river.  As I crossed the finish line, I realize it was a PR, by a lot, and got a few tears in the old eyes.

Later that night the final results were posted, and my time was 2:08:28!  A PR by 15 minutes!  I came in 397 pf 761 total and 28 of 60 in my age.  I knew I was capable of a 2 hour half, and since I had the 3 pit stops with waits I'm fairly certain I would have made it!  I'm very happy with how I did yesterday and almost can't wait for the next one.

Thanks for reading!

Linn

MaryS
on 7/14/08 12:19 pm - Long Island, NY

Linn,

Congratulations, sounds like you had a great race despite the pit stops you had to make.  I like that you had a nice early start to your race.  I have the NYC half marathon coming up on the 27th and that is a early start for us here, but it still isn't until 7.  I say the earlier the better in this weather.

It sounds like you had some really beautiful scenery during the race.  Again congratulation on blowing away your previous time.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 7/14/08 12:28 pm - Missoula, MT

Thanks Mary!

I think this was the most fun I've had at a race yet and it's partly because I'm healthy and partly because I'm just plain enjoying seeing progress.

Linn

Cassie W.
on 7/14/08 12:32 pm

Linn,

You must have been flying through those miles in between the pit stops with that finish time!  I'm sure it makes you that much more determined to BQ.  

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 7/14/08 12:36 pm - Missoula, MT

Thanks a bunch!

My best guess is that I was doing around 9 min miles most of the way.  Probably won't BQ this season, but it's looking good for next!

Linn

Kevin A.
on 7/14/08 1:48 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
What a great run!!! One of these day I would like to run a race though the country and see nature while I run!!! Congrats on a new PR!!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Linn D.
on 7/14/08 9:30 pm - Missoula, MT

Thanks Kevin!

Most of the shorter races in town are just through town, so this was really nice.  I really do love living in an area where this is possible.

Linn

Rob S.
on 7/14/08 9:17 pm - DE

Great job, Linn.  Amazing time, especially with all of the unplanned stops along the way.  I usually don't make any stops and can't come near that kind of time.  Continued success and good luck on the next race.

Rob

Linn D.
on 7/14/08 9:33 pm - Missoula, MT

Hey Rob, thanks.  You know, some days I can go without needing to stop and others I can't.  I don't worry about it so much anymore and just take it as it comes.  Mental attitude is everything.  I HAVE been working on improving my speed, and this was my most comfortable half to date.

Linn

Elisa K.
on 7/14/08 10:11 pm - Lumberton, NJ

Wow - what an awesome time - with three breaks no less!!  I probably would have stopped to check out the eagle - I'm a bit of a birder - LOL!!

Congrats on the PR!!

Most Active