The 15K That Started It All

Cassie W.
on 7/14/08 10:36 am

Sunday I ran my second Utica Boilermaker 15K, the road race that ignited my passion for running. When I started training for the 2007 Boilermaker over a year ago, I didn’t know that it would turn me into an athlete with a hunger to run just a little faster, just a little farther.

The Utica Boilermaker is one of the largest 15Ks in the nation and attracts several elite runners . Bill Rogers (4-time Boston Marathon winner) and Kathrine Switzer (the first woman to officially run the Boston Marathon) were among the guest speakers at the Expo.

I was truly looking forward to this homecoming. My brother, a Kona Ironman, and his wife, flew up from Texas to run the Boilermaker with me. My husband and my running partner also joined us at the starting line along with the other 11,400 runners. 

Although the first four miles is uphill with a steep climb between mile 3 and 4, I was determined to finish in 90 minutes. Early morning rains cooled temperatures to 74 degrees, so I was optimistic that the goal was reasonable . . . until the race started.

With such a large field of runners, it was wall-to-wall people. The crowd dictated the pace, unless you were seeded towards the front corrals. At first, I was feeling a little irritated that I couldn’t run the pace that I had planned. But, I quickly let it go so I could just have a good time and enjoy the race.

Buoyed by the music and cheering crowds, I crossed the finish line in 94 minutes – a little slower than planned, but still more than 12 minutes faster than last year. I can certainly live with that time. . .

‘til next year.

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Rob S.
on 7/14/08 11:17 am - DE

Great job!  With that many people your lucky to just get across the start line without having a major disaster.  Keep running for fun and watch those times get better and better.  Sounds like you had great weather for July.  What's next?

Rob

Linn D.
on 7/14/08 12:25 pm - Missoula, MT

Great job, Cassie!

I think I'll do this local half marathon next year as well since it was such a neat race, so I totally see where you're coming from about this race of yours.

What's your next race?

Linn

Cassie W.
on 7/14/08 12:52 pm

Thanks Linn and Rob,

Now, I'll ramp up my training for the Wineglass Marathon Oct. 5th in Corning, NY.  Along the way, I'll run the local Lake Delta Half Marathon Sept. 21 because it fits nicely into my training calendar.

There are quite a few local 5K and 10K races in the area, but I still need to evaluate if any of them will be a good fit in my marathon plan.

We might also run the Disney Marathon in January since it still has openings. 

Cassie

Elisa K.
on 7/14/08 10:13 pm - Lumberton, NJ

Awesome job Cassie!! 

kypdurran
on 7/14/08 11:50 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Great job Cassie.  I know what you mean about the crowds.  The Crescent City Classic is like that.  The first couple miles pace is always slow and you go whatever speed the mass of people is moving at.   You got a PR and finished so that's all that matters.

Congrats!

Chad

misstilly
on 7/15/08 6:31 am - Cosby, TN
Great job Cassie.  Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

wjoegreen
on 7/16/08 11:38 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Sorry for coming in late on your post but I really enjoyed your recap and admire your accomplishements and advice.  Great speakers,...Oooooo how cool would that be.  I have doen the UKROPS 10K in Richmond twice; the first had 20,000 and the second had 23,000 in the rain so I also understand the crowd controlling your pace at the start.  Whoooo the hills you had,...you knew about those and registered anyways?? They didn't sneak those in on you after the start??
Great run.  Thanks for sharing your experience,...and reaaallly good time.  I couldn't do 15K in 94 mins if it were downhill!!
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Cassie W.
on 7/17/08 11:11 am
Thanks Joe.  How is your training coming along for your half marathon?  You're running Richmond in November, right?  It looks like a great race.  I had considered running Richmond before I decided to save the airfare and run closer to home. 

The Boilermaker hills were no surprise.  I live in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains, so hills are inevitable. 

Cassie

wjoegreen
on 7/17/08 11:16 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
That would be fun to have you down. I have thought about trying to get up there for something with SCott or some other of you Northeastern online buds but haven't been committed enough to split with the bucks either.  I guess training in the foothills is a real mental edge when you go to a flat course. Or do you not waste your time on such easy events?? 

My training isn't where i want it.  I missed some weeks for flu and then golf and then it had been almost 10 week and only getting out to run twice.  So I am back at it this week and I have definitley lost some ground but it seems to be coming back over the course of the week.  If I stay consistent and get in some more interval traning, I thing my goal is still attainable.  I want to be able to go farther than 13 before race day so I am not merely trying to finish but do so with some respectability.  But on the reality side, I have read many first-time  half marathoner posts that weren't a thing of beauty,...so i will take whatever happens.  I enjoy your upbeat approach,....is that a foothill pun????

Keep being a pace setter. 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active