Sailfest 5K Report - New London, CT

Scott William
on 7/13/08 12:58 am

I worked a double last night and am working another tonight so I have to make it quick.  I onlt have 3 hours to sleep as it is.

Anyway, I got out of work and headed over to the race (15 min).  I signed up and took a warm up run.  They delayed the start 10 minutes which was no more than a little annoying.

The race starts and I want to run 8 minute splits.  That will have me finish in under 25 min.  I probably have no right to want that after working all night but I have a good track record in races after doubles.

First mile split was 7:15 - OH SH*T  I know that hills lie ahead.  Once the second mile starts there is a steep but fairly short hill.  I walk it at the same speed everyone else runs it.  Good strategy! 

Second mile split must have been in the 9 minute range.  This was mostly up hill so I wasn't too disappointed.

Mile three was flat for a half then it was up for a quarter and then down for a quarter.  The split was in the 8 minute range.  The last .1 was about the same pace.

The final time was about 25:03.  I would have loved to see a 24 up there but I must say that I am extremely happy with my effort.  I fought through the mentally tough parts and kept a fairly effort considering the hills and the heat on the city streets. 

Overall, I am very happy with the result.

Thanks

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Scott William
on 7/13/08 1:02 am

I just checked last year's result and I was about 45 seconds slower this year.  Oh, well.  It was a surprise to me!

Scott

Mifiremedic
on 7/13/08 1:05 am - MI
Scott,

Great job finishing the 5K after working a double. Sounds to me that you have this running thing down to a science.

Also I must say I enjoyed reading thru your Marathon reports. It was a true inspiration to read your progress. Not only was the marathon reports informative and education but was also very entertaining.

Curt
Scott William
on 7/13/08 4:36 am

Thanks for the kind words.

Scott

Elisa K.
on 7/13/08 1:27 am - Lumberton, NJ

I think that is pretty impressive after working a double!!  I really admire your dedication!! 

Deanna34
on 7/13/08 1:31 am - Salem, OR

Oh my gosh, you are a total stud!  You put me to shame!!!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MaryS
on 7/13/08 3:46 am - Long Island, NY

Scott,

You are inspiring,  I couldn't get by on 3 hours sleep, never mind run a 5k is 25:03.  Great job!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

misstilly
on 7/13/08 5:55 am - Cosby, TN

Congrats Scott.  I wish I could get near and 9 min mile.  Great work after working a double.  Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Sherry_Berry
on 7/13/08 7:37 am - Dacula, GA

LOL...I couldn't run a 5k in 25:03 with 12 hours of sleep! WTG!

JennyA
on 7/13/08 10:12 am - Eagan, MN

Nice run.

I miss New London!

Take care.

J