Can I do a 5K????

jlw1203
on 7/12/08 12:05 am

I am 1 1/2 yrs post op and really down with my weight to 107lbs. Have been running 3.5 miles daily and doing Pilates for 3 months now. I would love to try a 5K to see if I can do it but am scared of coming in last. Also, how do I go about finding races to run in?

Mifiremedic
on 7/12/08 6:33 am - MI
If your running 3.5 miles per day, then I'd be willing to bet you wont be last.. You'd probably be in the Middle of the Pack.

kypdurran
on 7/12/08 8:32 am, edited 7/12/08 8:32 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Unless you are running the Kenyan Invitational with all Kenyan athletes and you then I promise you WON'T be last.   You won't even be close to last.   Even if you are last (which you won't be) you finished and that's all that matters.  

Scott William
on 7/13/08 12:45 am

"The Kenyan Invitational"

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
misstilly
on 7/12/08 1:13 pm - Cosby, TN

You can do a 5k.  I did my first one June 1 then my second June 28.  I improved my time by 3 minutes on the second one. I walked a little in each race but I did come in 3 rd the 1st time and second the 2nd time, that was for my age division.  I am only 6 months out.   So what I am saying is if I can do it you can too.  Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Linn D.
on 7/12/08 8:37 pm - Missoula, MT

Of course you can!

I know that entering a race can be a little intimidating, but runners are a cool class of people.  They love to see new runners and are excited to see people in their sport.

I didn't check where you live, but most places have a running club and they are a good source of race information.  A good runner's store will also help steer you to that information.  I live in a small city in Montana and the runner's store owner is a part of the running club.

Linn

Scott William
on 7/13/08 12:47 am

It doesn't matter where you come in.  If you come in after 30 minutes, all the winners will have left anyway.   ...and that's after their cool downs.

That may not exactly be true but it has nothing to do with where you finish.  Everyone there will respect you for showing up and having the courage to start!!!

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
umber
on 7/13/08 1:58 am - Rochester, NH

I just did my first road race this past Saturday.  It was a 5K.  I am only 3-1/2 months out and still weigh 162lbs (I'm only 5'1").  I've been running for six weeks.  And I didn't come in last.  So obviously, you won't either.  I run about a 12min. mile.  I was proud of myself, it was fun, and there were plenty of people still behind me.

I find races on www.coolrunning.com

Lord, give me stregth and when I lack it, patience.  

MaryS
on 7/13/08 3:44 am - Long Island, NY

You can definitely do a 5k!  It is great fun, go ahead and find a race to sign up for and keep us posted on how you do.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

JennyA
on 7/13/08 10:17 am - Eagan, MN

To paraphrase Bob the Builder:  Can you run it?  Yes you can!

Take care.

J