I did it! My First 5K Race Report

Elisa K.
on 7/12/08 12:54 am - Lumberton, NJ

I did it!!  I finished my first 5K run in 41:23!  It's about what I had expected to run.  My race was uneventful - I tried really hard to just pretend that I was running with my regular Saturday morning training group (I was training with a group from a local running store).  Our coaches took us out to the race location a few weeks ago to run, so I was familar with the course. 

I felt really good!  My coaches, fellow training mates, and husband were all at the finish cheering me on - it really was quite special - I got a little teary-eyed. 

I've truely been inspired by many on this board - thanks so much for your stories and encouragement!!  I have signed up for 2 more races this summer, so I plan to keep running, and hopefully improving!

I've posted a few race pics in my profile - please feel free to check them out!!

kypdurran
on 7/12/08 8:30 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Awesome! Congrats on your accomplishment.  Before you know it you'll be signing up for your first marathon.

Chad

Elisa K.
on 7/12/08 9:53 am - Lumberton, NJ

Thanks Chad!!  Well, let me get a few 5k's under my belt before we start talking marathons - LOL!!  The running store that sponsered the training will be doing a 10k training program in the spring.  I plan to keep running, and completing that training next spring!!  I honestly can't believe that I can run, that I like it, and that I actually completed a race!!

Deanna34
on 7/12/08 11:35 pm - Salem, OR

Great job, Elisa!!!  Your finish time was awesome!!!  Isn't it such a huge sense of accomplishment???  You did it!!!  Way to go!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Elisa K.
on 7/13/08 12:55 am - Lumberton, NJ

Thank you so much Deanna!!  Now that i know I can run the distance, I want to start working on improving my time.  My next goal is to run my next race in under 40 minutes. 

Scott William
on 7/13/08 12:43 am

Aah - Ha!  I told you there would be some tears.    Awesome job!!!

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Elisa K.
on 7/13/08 12:57 am - Lumberton, NJ

Thanks Scott!!  I actually started tearing up before the finish - our coaches were along the route cheering me on.  It was an amazing experience.  Honestly, I never thought I would run, and enjoy it!! 

Chris Zane
on 7/13/08 2:50 am

Fantastic accomplishment and a great time!!

Elisa K.
on 7/13/08 8:55 am - Lumberton, NJ

Thank you so much!!  The time is not so great, but I made my goal - I ran the whole thing!!

MaryS
on 7/13/08 3:42 am - Long Island, NY

Elisa,

Congratulations - that is fantastic!  I love that you got teary-eyed, I still do!  The pics are great.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active