First 5K Race Tomorrow!!

Elisa K.
on 7/10/08 11:19 pm - Lumberton, NJ

I started running in March, and tomorrow is my first 5k race!!  I am beyond excited!  To think - 2 1/2 years ago, I weighed 360 lbs, and never dreamed of running! I just wanted to say a big "thank you" to all that have posted their race reports, and have inspired me to do this. So, any tips for this race virgin??

Scott William
on 7/11/08 12:16 am
I don't know how fast you plan on running but assuming that you are not trying to win, start about 3/4 of the way back.  That way you won't get caught up in the wave.   You will start out faster than you are used to.  That is okay because the race adrenalin will help you go a little faster than usual.  Don't over do it though or you will kill the last half of your race. If you need to walk a bit just move to the side and peek back to make sure no body is there to trip over you. Lastly, there may be people here who put the idea of running a race in your head but you have done all the hard work getting to the starting line.  Really enjoy it and don't hold back any tears at the finish.  You have earned them!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Elisa K.
on 7/11/08 1:39 am - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Scott!! 
kypdurran
on 7/11/08 12:30 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Best of luck with the race.  You're gonna do great.  Run, jog or walk at a pace YOU are comfortable with and don't get caught up in the 'speed'.   Finish.   Finish strong!  Most importantly, ENJOY that finish line because you only get so many firsts.   Having gone through the weight loss journey you have I'm sure the finish line will be all the more sweeter.

Looking forward to your race report where you can tell us about your experience.  

Chad

Elisa K.
on 7/11/08 1:40 am - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Chad!!  I will definitely post my report tomorrow!!
JennyA
on 7/11/08 2:20 am - Eagan, MN
Congratulations and good luck Elisa.  My first is two weeks from tomorrow. Can't wait to read your report. Take care. J
on 7/11/08 3:07 am - Lumberton, NJ
How awesome!!  I can't wait to read your report!!  Good luck!!!
wjoegreen
on 7/11/08 2:40 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Stick to whatever pre run routine you have established so there are no surprises.  I get up and take my supplements and get some protein in 1-2 hrs before race time.  Drink before you run but I'd knock that off at least 30 mins before start.  I'd also recommend a pitstop to tinkle or such even if you're not sure, just to be sure before getting on the course. (Nerves keep my bladder all twisted up pre-races).  Make sure you stretch good and even warm up a little without doing too much or eating into your stamina.  I'd recommend curtailing the warmup at least 10 mins before starting. Run your own race. Remember to breath. Enjoy yourself. Be friendly, there are alot of nice people with great stories of inspiration and running wisdom.  I really enjoy races but have to contain ow much I spend on registrations.  Its the running I benefit from, not the races.  The races are the carrot dangling out ther to keep me practicing with regularity.  Commitmment I think is the word I' working around. Have a great run.  I'll watch for your glamourous and detailed report.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Elisa K.
on 7/11/08 3:12 am - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Joe!  Thankfully, I have been training with a group from a local running store, and we have trained every Sat @7:30am for the past 3 months.  I am just going to pretend that I am running with my regular Sat morning group.   I don't know how glamourous or detailed my report will be, but I will definiately post it after the race!
Linn D.
on 7/11/08 3:41 am - Missoula, MT
Elisa, You've gotten some great advice that I don't have anything to add to. Have a great time, and I am also anticipating reading your report.! Linn
Most Active