100 mile bike ride

OCD
on 7/9/08 6:46 am - Mexia, TX

Back to back, next weekend and the weekend after plus 100 miles during the week for training. I’m staying hydrated and eating cliff bars, shot blocks, and using Hammer Gel during the ride. Right now my weight has stalled and could be due to the fact that I am living off of carbs but at least I am not gaining anything. I am still losing inches…

Seht
on 7/9/08 7:55 am
Way to go.  That's a lot of riding. How long did it take you to get to the point of being able to do those long rides? Congrats again on your rides. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 7/9/08 8:42 am - Dacula, GA
Please don't eat too many cliff bars! I ate a wuarter of one every 15 minutes on my first century. 6 hours later and 6 cliff bars later I thought I was gonna have public butt explosion b/c of all the fiber. I didn't think too well on that one! Make sure when you do shots and gels you chase it with water!
OCD
on 7/9/08 2:59 pm - Mexia, TX

Its more the bananas that get me. The cliff bars are the small trial size bars and I don’t do to many of them. I found out the hard way on the bananas. The 3rd rest stop and the the 3rd half of banana and it all came back up. I made it a point to stop at all the rest stops because the first ride I went on I got dehydrated and passed out. The second one I learned that eating pretzels made me drink more water. I am thinking of sticking with the pretzels because I did a lot better and knocked of a lot of time in 50 miles. The Hotter N Hell is in August and that is what I am getting ready for. Seht I started riding 2 months before my surgery and had to beg my doctor to let me get back on the bike a week after surgery. I have been on it ever since. I started at 20 miles and just did that every day until I got the nerve to go out on a group ride. I love it and I’m working my way up to the B team. I average about 18 to 20 miles an hour right now on a mountain bike so when I switch over to a road bike I will be ready for the big boys.

donnainhouston
on 7/10/08 9:35 am - League City, TX

I found a great healthy carb snack that is both pouch-worth and pouch-friendly!  I've only found them at Wal-greens so far, but you can order them from their website.  

They are made by Deerfield Farms, and they're called Snackin' Flax.  They are small soft granola bites with flax and blueberries in them.  They're easy on my tummy and worked for me on the MS150 like a charm.  Like Shannon, I was worried about the "potty" effects, but there were none!  Of course everyone's mileage may vary.

Donna

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Most Active