Supplements?

Soft And Lovely
on 7/9/08 6:40 am - IL

What are you guys who are in training taking?

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Cassie W.
on 7/9/08 8:50 pm
Multi-vitamin calcium glucosamine/chondroitin  B12 Iron B-complex Biotin Protein shakes when I don't get enough through food. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Soft And Lovely
on 7/9/08 11:11 pm - IL
Thank you for your response.  :-)  I am not training for any long events yet (obviously) so I'm not looking to copy what those in Ironman training are doing, I'm just curious to know what the supplemental differences are if there are any.  I know glucosamine/chondroitin is for joints but what does biotin do?

HW/SW/CW/GW*

Linn D.
on 7/10/08 1:50 am - Missoula, MT
I don't take much either.  Just my multi vitamin daily, B12 twice a week, and iron when I think about it.  Maybe I should, but I don't take calcium.  I get quite a bit from yogurt and cheese. Linn
Soft And Lovely
on 7/11/08 5:52 am - IL
Calcium is my biggest challenge too!  It's just hard to remember.  I am working on developing better consistency though.

HW/SW/CW/GW*

jengadog
on 7/20/08 11:12 am
wjoegreen
on 7/10/08 4:10 am, edited 7/10/08 4:12 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I do about 160 gms of protein daily (120 from Pure Protein bars and appox 20-40 more from real foods; shrimp, meat, etc).                                                                                                                   Supplements; in the  morning I take: 2 prenatal (womens) mutli-vitamins (surgeon recommended for the 28 mg iron each), garlic, B12, B1, B complex liquid, E, C, Biotin, potassium, and an amino combo pill (men's multi-vitamin; no iron).                                                                                                                                                                        In the evenings before bed, I take: my 1 remaining blood pressure pill, 2 Calcium Citrate, 2 Flaxseed oil, 4 Vit D, 1 Vit A, 1 Childrens aspirin, and if needed for leg and/or foot pain, like usually after a long run or evening run before bed, 1 magnesium.                                                                             I also make sure I get my minimum 4 bottle waters in a day, but usually get closer to 6 or 7 16.9-20 oz bottles over the course of the day and evening.  I am also doing the small 6 meals a day.  My meals look a lot like my snacks regarding serving size.  I still fill-up fast but need the intake to keep my energy levels sufficient for jogging, golf, minor weight lifting, and keeping up with day-to-day job and family activities. I still occassionally crash and burn but not as often anymore as those first 12-18 months.                                                                                                                                                          The Biotin I started for hair-loss but learned later it is an energy aid too. The Potassium I was recommend from the surgeon as an anti-depressant but as my jogging mileage rose, it also helps with post workput light-headiness and weak-knee wooziness.  The Garlic I picked up from a recommendation as a stamina aid in an article in Runners World.  One really seems to help; 2 cause me significant cramps and diareherria within 12 hours.                                                            Hope that helps, your mileage my vary.                                           Joe 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Soft And Lovely
on 7/11/08 5:55 am - IL
I think I may pick up some biotin too.  So far my hair is staying put but it's early days yet.  If there's an added energy bonus then it's definitely worth looking into!

HW/SW/CW/GW*

donnainhouston
on 7/10/08 9:48 am - League City, TX

The following is what my surgeon's protocol is post-op

Flinstone's Complete (Yes!  Because they're easily digested) 2 x day
Calcium 2x a day (because we don't absorb the full value from our foods

Here's what I take on my own:

CorOmega (Fish Oil - It's a gel that is easily digested)
Sublingual B-12 Dots by Twin Lab (they dissolve under your tongue for maximum absorption)
Biotin (keeps my hair and skin from drying out)

For my weight training I'll usually have a protein shake (whey isolate) 30 minutes before and 2:1:1 recovery drink (a mixture of carbs and protein) right after. 

On endurance rides I stick with Cytomax and X-Tend

Don't laugh, because the name is escaping me at the moment, and my husband usually buys it.  It's a liquid supplement that helps you body make fats available to burn for energy.  I'll have to find out the name.  I just know we're out of it at the moment.

Donna

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Soft And Lovely
on 7/11/08 5:57 am - IL
Ooh when you find out the name I'd love to hear it!  Maybe in the meantime I'll google it too.

HW/SW/CW/GW*

Most Active