Team in Training

Leslee_Martin
on 7/9/08 4:37 am
Anyone know what that is?!!  I'm going to a meeting for it tonight.. I remember calling for more information on it, but forgot what I read about it.. I THINK it has something to do with triathlons and curing cancer or something?!! lol anyway I'm excited to find out!  Does anyone know anything about this? Leslee
368/190/220/140

Before/Lowest/Current/Goal  I have come too far to take orders from a cookie!

Seht
on 7/9/08 4:48 am
Yes, they are a fund raising organization for the lukemia society more or less. They have training sessions for runners, bikers, multi sport events etc. They have coaching available and they will provide you with access to some pretty big events. Here is the rub though, you have to commit to collecting so much in donations.  The few races I looked at required 3-4 thousand commitment.  If you don't raise it, they expect you to cover the short fall. You get Team in Training gear, you get coaching, you get travel and entry into events including shipping of your bike etc.  You also get accomodations for the event. About 25% of what you raise goes to cover the expense of getting you to the event, the rest goes to the lukemia society.   This is pretty much what they presented at the meeting I went to. While I think it is a great idea, there is no way I could afford to guarantee I could raise 4000 dollars.   Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Leslee_Martin
on 7/9/08 5:06 am
ooh ok thank you! wow! awesome idea, but yeah, that's a BIG commitment!! Thanks for the information!
368/190/220/140

Chris Zane
on 7/9/08 6:38 am
A friend of mine did it and it seems like a great organization.  The amount of money to raise varies depending on where you are located and where the race is.  She did the Honolulu marathon and had to raise about $4500, but it really was a lot easier than she thought.   Some of the other races had a much smaller amount because they were close by.
MaryS
on 7/9/08 6:52 am - Long Island, NY
Does your friend have any good fund raising ideas?  I'm in the process of trying to raise $3000 for Fred's Team (cancer research) for the marathon this year and any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Seht
on 7/9/08 7:54 am
Team in Training will help you with some of the fund raising, they have form letters, help you set up a web page on their server all those kind of things. So they may be able to give you some good ideas. here is an example of what their site looks like. TIT fund raising site Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Leslee_Martin
on 7/9/08 8:29 am
Thanks! At first the commitment seemed huge. Then I thought ALL the people I know that would be supportive....if not personaly for lukemia then for me having lost so much weight and now taking on a triathlon for a good cause...I think I could raise the funds. I'm gonna go ahead and go to the meeting. Leslee
368/190/220/140

Chris Zane
on 7/9/08 8:31 am
Here is the best fundraising idea ever - if you live near a college. We bought some cheap necklaces and bracelets from Oriental Trading Company in the school colors.  We bought a ton of them - hundreds of them for maybe $50 or so.  Then we took them and walked around all of the tailgating areas before home games and sold them for a donation.  No one gave us less than a dollar for each one (they cost us pennies) and a lot of people gave us a whole lot more.  We went to two games and at each game raised over $700 in a couple of hours.  It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.  We came home with backpacks full of money. Also, a lot of employers will match donations to charities, so if any of your friends work for such a company, their donation can be doubled.  It usually takes a little longer to get the match, so start your fundraising early.
MaryS
on 7/9/08 8:56 am - Long Island, NY
Great idea, I have to see if we can get to a game.  We are going to one at West Point but I don't think that is until Oct.  College football isn't that big up here, so I'll have to think of something else along those same lines.  Thanks - I love it!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active