Ankle/foot pain!

NicoleLynn
on 7/9/08 12:18 am - Minneapolis, MN
Okay so last night before my run my ankle and outside of my foot hurt just slightly, so I ran in spite of it, well last night and now this morning it really hurts.  In the past I have sprained my ankles multiple times, but this feels different and and when I push on the muscles in that area they are not tender, but when I am up walking or standing the pain is intermittent.  I tried putting on an old brace I had but it was too big and didn't seem to do much.  I know a couple of years ago I had an x-ray of one of my ankles and the doctor said I had bone chips that occassionally get caught and cause this sort of pain, but I can't for the life of me remember which ankle it was.  Any suggestions?  Should I go to the doctor or just wait it out and see if it gets better?  Thanks much! Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Linn D.
on 7/9/08 1:12 am - Missoula, MT
Nicole, I generally err on the side of caution.  If the pain is sharp, I'd definitely see an orthopedic surgeon.  Otherwise you can try alterating heat and ice and see if that helps.  I'd probably see the doc anyway if it were me. Linn
NicoleLynn
on 7/9/08 2:06 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Linn!  When I was first told about the bone chips they said they would leave them be unless they became a real problem.  I think at that time they were also concerned about the stress my weight was causing my joints more than anything.  I am hoping it will go away like it used to and I won't have to worry about it any more, but if it still hurts at lunch time I am going to call and make an appointment, because I do not want to have to be out of commission during these last couple of weeks before the race.

NicoleLynn
on 7/9/08 10:59 am - Minneapolis, MN
Linn~It still hurt at lunch time so I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon (the first one I could get) with a PA.  The funny thing is it feels just fine when I am sitting or lyeing down, but when I get up and walk more than a acouple yards it is a shooting pain.  Hopefully it is nothing big and I can get back to running tomorrow!

tickles
on 7/9/08 10:36 pm - NC
I have a problem simular to this but it is an inflamed Plantar Fascia which is a broad, thick band of tissue that runs from under the heel to the front of the foot. A rupture can sometimes occur at the origin of the arch ligament and result in inflammation and pain. Symptoms
  • Heel pain, under the heel and usually on the inside, at the origin of the attachment of the fascia.
  • Sometimes there may also be pain along the outside border of the heel. This may occur due to the offloading the painful side of the heel by walking on the outside border of the foot. It may also be associated with the high impact of landing on the outside of the heel if you have high arched feet.
  • Pain is usually worse first thing in the morning. After a few minutes it eases as the foot gets warmed up, but can get worse again during the day especially if walking a lot.
  • Painmay shoot up into the ankle area
Most Active