New here...and training question

Brian W.
on 7/8/08 3:03 pm - Belmont, CA
Hi all First post here, but I see my bud Kevin A is a regular, so its probably safe to jump in :) I am training for the Rock and Roll Half-Marathon in SJ on Oct 5th and doing a 10k on July 27th in Santa Cruz My question is that for the last week, my legs have been feeling kinda "dead" during the run, my pace has slowed down about 15-30 seconds per mile.  Wondering if anyone else goes through a "dead" period during training? Thanks Brian ~350
Cassie W.
on 7/8/08 8:39 pm
Hi Brian, Welcome to the fitness boards.  You'll find a great crowd here to train with.  When I have legs that feel like lead, it's usually because they need an extra rest day after I've been working them hard.  After that they're refreshed and ready for the next push.  The physical therapist who put my marathon training plan together for me said his most important piece of advice was when in doubt, do less.  It's better to be slightly undertrained than overtrained, injured and unable to complete the race you've prepared so hard for. Other "dead" days have simply been a matter of food and water.    My legs fatigue if I'm just a little dehydrated or short-change myself on my calorie/protein needs.   Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Brian W.
on 7/9/08 4:40 am - Belmont, CA
Thanks I currently have 2 rest days (Monday and Friday) built into my training plan. I really felt the first sign of fatigue on my long run (7 miles) on Sunday, then during yesterday's 4.5 miler, I could really feel it Today was supposed to be a 3 mile run, but maybe I will do elliptical instead Brian ~350
MaryS
on 7/8/08 8:53 pm - Long Island, NY
Hi Brian, Welcome!  I'd second Cassie advice and add in a litle more rest and see how your legs feel.  I'm always amazed by how much better I feel after I get extra rest. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 7/9/08 1:18 am - Missoula, MT
Hi Brian, I'm going to chime in and agree with Cassie and Mary. Of course, some days just plain suck, and that's normal.  I'm assuming the plan you're following has a built-in recovery week.  If not, you should kind of take it a little easier about one week after every 3 or 4. Linn
Brian W.
on 7/9/08 4:41 am - Belmont, CA
Hi Linn I'm currently following Hal Higdon's plan.  There's no rest week built in, but i do have 2 rest days every week, so i thought that would be enough.  I'll give the legs a little rest and see how it goes Thanks Brian ~350
Kevin A.
on 7/10/08 1:38 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Hey buddy!! Welcome to my hideout!! Don't worry about your pace with every run. Some days are just better than others.. Relax and enjoy your runs!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active