Riding with the "A" group

kypdurran
on 7/7/08 1:07 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Well being the ****y, "CAN DO" guy that I am I decided that I was going to ride with the A group in a group ride in St. Francisville, Louisiana yesterday.   I had my new, carbon framed bike and there was just no stopping me right?   I could probably hang with Lance since we were all gonna be drafiting right?   WRONG!

St. Francisville is a rare, hilly portion of SW Louisiana that has little traffic and few beasts (dogs) to annoy bikers.    The ride was SUPPOSED to be an easy 18 - 21mph 50 - 56 mile romp through the countryside.  I tried my best to hang with the group of 20 or so bikers but they dropped me in the first 5 miles.   The 18 - 21mph turned into 26mph UP the hills.   I tried to hang but there was just NO way.   I was lucky that my tri coach turned around and came back to get me.   We rode the 'loop' which was around 45 miles back to the car at the pace I had intended in the first place which was 18 - 21mph.  

So what did I learn from my ride with the A Group???   I learned that it's all about the ENGINE!   I may have a Ferarri of a bike but the engine driving said bike (me) is from a Yugo.   I'll be sticking with the B Group from now on.  :)

Seht
on 7/7/08 1:28 am
Hey I think it's awesome that you hung with them for 5 miles. If I can maintain 15 mph for any distance, I feel like i'm doing great. Next time you will make 5+ miles.  Pretty soon that little 4 cylinder engine will be a 6 then eventually a 12. Hell man you run marathons for fun.   Congrats on continuing to set goals and high standards for your performance. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Rob S.
on 7/7/08 1:36 am - DE
Been there, done that!  My brother is an A group rider up here.  I gave up trying to keep up with that group ages ago.   He has just completed the Bike across Virginia, and let me tell you, those are hills!  While vacationing in Maryland I actually was able to keep up with some very good bikers on some 50-mle rides, but only because I'm actually stronger on hills than flat roads.  I think that to be a great cyclist you need to invest a lot of time and energy, which would detract from running.  So I think I'll stick to be average at a whole lot things. Rob
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/08 1:38 am - Island Heights, NJ
Welcome to my world, man!

Although, starting with this season, I've been designated as a "leader" of the B-Group.

Maybe by next season, I'll be hanging with the Speedsters!
Of course, I'll be "sucking wheel" the whole time... Doubt they'll ask me to take a pull!

Be Well,
A.J.
kypdurran
on 7/9/08 6:33 am - Baton Rouge, LA
I don't see the big deal with drafting.  I mostly train alone but when I do ride with a group and have the opportunity to draft I just don't 'get it'.   I still work just as hard as I do by myself it seems like.
Linn D.
on 7/7/08 5:30 am - Missoula, MT
Chad, I read this and thought to myself, "that's something I would do!"  Then again, I love a challenge, as I assume you do as well.  You'll get there if it's something that's important to you... Thanks for letting the rest of us know we're not alone! Linn
Scott William
on 7/7/08 6:06 am
Not me.  I'd make my own group - the D group!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kypdurran
on 7/7/08 7:39 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Nothing wrong with the B Group.  I guess I'll be a B Grouper for another year or ten.  :)
Seht
on 7/8/08 2:49 am
Nothing wrong with any group as long as you are participating. just keep moving huh! Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Soft And Lovely
on 7/8/08 6:55 am - IL
As soon as I figure out how gear shifts work I'm totally gonna get me a group!

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Most Active