Spinning Class?

Julie D.
on 7/7/08 12:45 am - Stephenville, TX
My gym is going to start offering spinning classes for an additional $25 a month.  I don't know much about spinning and was hoping someone here could enlighten me....what exactly is it?  do you get a good work out?  do you enjoy it?  Thanks! Julie

Much Love,
Jules

Linn D.
on 7/7/08 1:04 am - Missoula, MT
Julie, I do spin classes at least twice a week and love it!  They are tough, especially in the beginning, but it is also a very good workout. The bikes are like stationary road bikes and you adjust the tension to mimic climbing, etc.  Most instructors do some climbing, some sprinting, some standing, and some other in and out of the saddle stuff.  Most of our classes are 50 minutes and I'm generally dripping sweat by 25 minutes. If you go and like it, I would suggest using bike shoes if the pedals on the bikes have clips.  They help keep your foot in the proper position for maximum efficiency in the pedal stroke, and I just plain get more out of it.  Bike shorts are also a good idea.  You eventually get used to sitting on a bike seat, but it's a little easier with the padding. Hope this helps some, Linn
Rob S.
on 7/7/08 1:42 am - DE
 I think Lynn explained it .  I would just state that I am usually dripping after 10 minutes.  I go three times a week, and run on the other days.  Spinning is a much more intense and safe workout from outdoor cycling.  I would ask your gym if you could sample the class before committing.  Some instructors are great, and some you may not connect with.  Don't get intimidated by the other riders, since many were rookies at one stage of their spinning also, and you only have to make sure you are getting your "moneys" worth. Rob
Mifiremedic
on 7/7/08 3:36 am - MI
I have nothing more to add that the other two people didnt already say.

I was hurting for like 3 days after my first spin class. People in their 80's was kicking my arse. But now I can hold my own.

Welcome..

Curt
K B (Tucson)
on 7/7/08 11:42 am - Tucson, AZ
Buy a gel bike seat if your gym does not have one to add to the bike seat.  These can be found in most sports stores and even Walmart/Target.  The worst part of spinning is the sore butt!!!
Julie D.
on 7/7/08 12:46 pm - Stephenville, TX

Thanks for the tip.  Is the gel bike seat removeable?  I mean, does it slip on and off the bike at the gym easily?

Much Love,
Jules

K B (Tucson)
on 7/7/08 1:40 pm - Tucson, AZ
Yes, they are meant to come on and off.  Some spinning classes will already have wider seats and gel seats.  Ask and if they don't have them buy a gel seat to put on top of the original seat.  They only cost about $20.
Julie D.
on 7/7/08 11:25 pm - Stephenville, TX
Thanks so much for letting me know!  I had no idea about the gel seats.

Much Love,
Jules

Sherry_Berry
on 7/8/08 8:59 pm - Dacula, GA
YAY! I teach spin and LOVE it! I don't recommend the gel seat...I recommend the bike shorts and some chamois cream, but that's just me! I wonder why your gym wants to charge extra for the class...I've always had it included w/my memberships.
Julie D.
on 7/8/08 10:47 pm - Stephenville, TX
Where do I get chamois cream?  Never heard of it!  :) The gym doesn't offer a spin class right now at all, so I guess we have to pay extra for the new equipment...which I think shouldn't be the patrons responsibility.  They told me yesterday when I signed up that the class may not even form due to lack of interest.  They had a membership drive in February and I joined for $100 and that was the total cost for a whole year, so I can't complain too much!  Thanks for you help. Julie

Much Love,
Jules

Most Active