How do you get past the mental problem

misstilly
on 7/7/08 6:37 am - Cosby, TN
I have this problem that I can run on the treadmill for 3.5 miles, but when I get out on the road I do about 2 miles then I walk, then I run again, but it is so hard to get my head and my body to start running again after I have walked.  I feel this is a head game I am playing with my self, but I am having a hard time getting past it. Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Deanna34
on 7/7/08 6:48 am - Salem, OR
I totally understand what you're going through!  First of all, it is much harder to run outside ... it just is.  But part of it is mental.  And I know if I stop to walk, it's much, much harder to get running again.  It helps to have a good course to run outside so you can distract yourself with the scenery.  But it's a huge mental game to keep yourself going.  I usually tell myself I'll run to something I can see in the distance and if I absolutely HAVE to, I can walk after that.  And almost always I will get to that point and feel like I'm okay and keep going ... so I pick something else in the distance and run to that.  This technique usually helps me push through it.  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 7/7/08 7:21 am - Missoula, MT
Well, Sue, I even have this problem sometimes on the TM.  The hardest mile for me to do on my long runs is the 5th.  I only do 1 long run a week and the rest are only 3 or 4, so when I'm doing the long run and get to 4, it's tough to make the body keep going even though I know it's capable. When I do the races, it's easier to keep going, but sometimes what I do is remember Dory (sp) from Finding Nemo and say to myself, "just keep running" over and over until I giggle to myself.  It takes a bit of the edge off and I'm no longer thinking about that, I just keep going. I found that it was easier starting to run than it was going longer distances.  I do get fatigued, and just have to bear with it or I won't see improvement.  Remember that the mind only thinks of survival, and pushing past previous limits isn't something it wants to do.  We all prefer to remain in our comfort zones so to speak, and reaching beyond that is more of a mental challenge than it ever will be a physical one. Good luck, and you'll get there.  You just have to be stronger than your mind. Linn
NicoleLynn
on 7/7/08 10:01 am - Minneapolis, MN
Sue~I do the same as Deanna I pick a point far in the distance and run to that and then if I am okay I will pick another spot to run to.  I have a set path I take and have markers of how far I was able to my previous runs and so I try to puch myself past that point each time even if it is just a few more yards.  I do the same with my walking I will give myself a certain distance and then it is back to running again, uless I feel able to earlier and then I will start before.  I agree it is a huge mind game, I will also hear my sister (she's a personal trainer and my biggest cheerleader) telling me "you can do it just a little further, come on pu****"  I hope this helps!

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

misstilly
on 7/7/08 1:08 pm - Cosby, TN
Thanks for all your resposes.  I know that it is mental when I am outside.  When I am on the TM I don;t have a problem going my 3.5 miles.  I will try what you guys have suggested and pick a spot ahead when I get to the point I feel I need to walk. Sue

215/210/117/120

wjoegreen
on 7/7/08 1:24 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
MsTilly, I don't post as much as I use to but you expressed a very real concern that is a real psych job we face.  Two things help me.  First (because it is the order I dealt with it), when you feel the need to walk outside, focus on walking at a good pace so you don't kill yuor time while regaing your breath.  Walking to recover from fatigue is bogus and mental bcause you are still moving whether itr is walking or jogging; try a slower jog to reciver your breathing rather than going to a full walk or build to that goal.  When I jog, I focus on breathing in throughmy mouth and out through my nose.  It takesa little getting use to but it helps me control exhaling more than I am inhaling so I don't run out of oxygen or breath as fast.  WhenI get so winded that I feel like I have to walk, I wlk  unitl I can breath in and out throuh my nose and then get back to jogging as sso as I can.  I learned in a 10K race I was determine to improve my time in that itis really is no more taxing or recovery any less efficient to jog slower than going to a walk.  Its a pychological barrier and I just repeat to myself if I keep going I can get through this barrier and train my body that I intend to go farther.  Next thing I knwo, I'm jogging and thinking about soething else or jammng to my MP3 player which is my second secret that ain't so secret anymore.  Get a mp3 player that you can comfortably jog with.  Load it with tunes that are goog jogging paced tunes, back to back to back and jog to the beat.  It really helps me forget about how I feel and enjoy my runs even more.  I have actually gotten to where I look foreward to my runs so I can go jam and then the music helps keep me upbeat during the rest on the day.  My latst trick I got from Sporty Jill, sport jelly beans,.....whenI go for moe than 4 miles or 1 hour, I take my beans and I can eat 2 or 3 whenmy legs start feeling fatigued or I feel like I'm hitting a wall.  Just chew them up and withing a song I am chugging along again.  When they stoop working,...I am toast.  After the first dose, I feel like a few more every 20-30 minutes of jogging up to 2 hrs as I train for my 13 miler in Nov. Hope any or some of that helps,...train the brain, fight thru the pain, for some exciting gains!! Onward and upward!! Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Scott William
on 7/7/08 3:00 pm
I don't hate the treadmill but I love getting outside and exploring the area.  When I feel like stopping, I ask myself, "how do my legs feel", and " how do my lungs feel".  When I determine that I feel fine, I keep going because I can't justify stopping.  There are times where I do stop. Also, during my long runs I have addopted a 4 to 1 run to walk ratio and I find that practicing running after walking really makes it easier to start running again. Keep your head in the game.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Elisa K.
on 7/7/08 10:21 pm - Lumberton, NJ
I do the same thing Deanna does - I pick something in the distance, and tell myself that I can walk if I get to it.  I can usually keep going.  I also access my physical being, like Scott, and ask myself - if I'm breathing ok, how are my legs, etc.  Sometimes, I just tell myself - You're not going to die, Elisa - suck it up!!  That usually works - LOL!!
Seht
on 7/8/08 12:25 am
Well I'm not running any great distances yet, but it's pretty tedious for me, especially on the treadmill.  I seem to get bored.  I'm not tired, but I keep wondering am I done yet, can I quit yet etc.  I think part of that comes from years of hating running.  I even failed Phys ed in high school one year because i refused to run laps. One thing that helps is the self awareness.  That and I keep telling myself I can do it.  I say over and over that my body does what my mind tells it to do and that I'm not tired, keep running. It's weird, but it really works for me. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

misstilly
on 7/8/08 8:45 am - Cosby, TN
thanks guys.  Iwill have to see if I can find some of those jelly beans.  I do have a ipod so that does help a little.  One question though the 2 races I have done they have said they preferred us not to use headphones what is everyones take on that?   Sue

215/210/117/120

Most Active