FireCracker Triathlon

Mifiremedic
on 7/6/08 8:23 am - MI
Well I survived another Triathlon. I am just in awe that I am able to take part in such a great sport. A year and a half ago, I was pushing 290 pounds, and would get out of breath just walking up a flight of stairs.

To catch up some, this was my second triathlon, but first "true" sprint triathlon. My first triathlon was last August, and it's what I would call a "Super" Sprint. It consisted of a 300 yard swim, 6 mile bike, and 3 mile run.

This mornings triathlon was the Firecracker Triathlon. It's take place on the lovely Lake Michigan shoreline. It's the same venue that hosts the Whirlpool Steelhead HalfIron Man 70.3 in August.

Going into this triathlon, I felt in shape, but my mind has yet to comprehend I am no longer that 280ish pound man. My mind continues to tell me I shouldnt be able to do this, and sadly my mind continues to listen from time to time.

The Firecracker consists of a 400 yard swim in Lake Michigan, 12 mile bike, and 3 mile run. Here is my recount of the days events.

Well like so many, I had trouble sleeping. The last time I noticed on the clock was midnight. With my alarm clock set for 0430AM, it looked as though sleep will have to wait for after the race. However, shortly after waking to the sound of the alarm clock, I am confronted by the wife complaining about me not waking up to deal with the fire alarm beeping every couple minutes indicating low batteries. Oh well, I must have slept good, once I fell asleep.

Fixed my morning bowl of cinnamon roll oatmeal, 2 slices of high fiber toast, and a glass of milk. After that, I load the truck with my transition bag, cooler, etc. I double and triple check to make sure I have running shoes, bike shoes, etc. I fear leaving one of them behind.

We hit the road at 0510am for the 1.25 hour ride to Michigan west coast. The car ride pretty was much uneventful, except for an occasionally child beating that needed to take place. They thought it was necessary, but sure made me feel better. ha ha... Seriously a tired 13 and 16 year old, is almost like a gang fight my back seat. Once their seperated, the rest of the drive goes uneventful.

We arrive around 0630am, not a lot of people present, so registration went quickly. Had to pay my $10 USAT fee, which I thought I had already paid. Oh well. Paid the fee, and got my number of 131. Goodie bag, etc. Got marked. At this point, I realize that this is all real, and not a dream.

As for my race number, I do remember having a dream, that I was given the number 464. What an honor that would have been. I thought about asking, but it seemed they had everything organized for a reason.

Return to the truck, retrieve my bike, transition bag, foot bucket, aero bottle, drink bottle, wetsuit, etc. Damn, I brought a lot of stuff. Need to work on packing less.

Find my rack number. Spend the next 10 minutes or so, setting up my home for the next hour or so. Suddenly, I had some rumblings in my tummy, and I suppose its time to find the bathrooms. Well wouldnt you know it, everyone else had the same thoughts.

Return to my bike, grab my foot bucket, and set off for Lake Michigan to get some water. Oh crap, thats a long ways from the transition area to the water. Do they expect me to run all that way? Isnt there a rule about the distance between the water and T1? If not, they need to think about making one...

After having my transition area completely set up, I decide to go for a quick run to loosen up and familirize myself with the surroundings.

Its now about 0735, and I decide to grab my wetsuit, goggles, and cap and start making that expedition to the waters edge. Jump in the water for a quick swim before the start. DANG!!!! Tha****er was colder than I have been used to. The swim was more of a out and back. I was expecting to swim along the shore with the current as the information had said.

Swim-

The announcer advises for "Male 30-39 to start for the start line. I guess that means me. I suppose this means I have to swim now. Do a quick meet and greet with other club members, and find myself sizing up the competition. Once again, I find myself, wondering why I am among other superb athletes. Initially, I am a****ers edge, hoping for a quick start out front. But I slowly moved myself to the back of the pack. Isnt that where the slow non athletes belong?

Well were given the 5 second notice. The sound of the gun (or whatever it is). We all start running for the water. Had to run probably 25 yards before it was deep enough to swim. Well being in the back of the pack, I am help up by hundreds of kicking legs, flailing arms, and who knows whatever else. I try to settle into my swimming comfort zone, but constantly find a kicking foot merely inches from my nose. I decide to take control of my swimming, and start finding paths around some of theses slower swimmers. One by one, I am passing people, even skinny people. And I am not even kicking. We get to the turn around, and I get stuck behind a guy doing some version of the frog kick. Well the frog kick with some flailing. He knocks my goggles to the side once. Eventually I get around him. I swim till I am beached, and then raise up for the wade back out of the water. As I am exiting the water, I am taking off my wetsuit. I managed to have my wetsuit totally stripped off before I hit the beach. Dang, I am actually doing something that I had planned.

Now comes the long a$$ haul to the transition area. I decide to do a fast walk up the sand. Once I hit concrete, I pick it up to a jog. Dang, that was a long run. Doe any of that run count towards my 3 mile run?

Swim 8:31 (9th out of water in Clydesdale)

T1-

My transition area is just inside the entrance, so I had to problems finding my stuff. A quick dip in the foot bath, throw on some socks, strap on the helmet, a few swigs off juice, a couple Clif Shot blocks, put on the bike shoes. I am on my way out of T1. People who were in T1 before me, are still there. Looks like practicing T1 has worked.

4:07

Bike-

I am now on my bike for a 12 mile bike ride. For the first mile or so, I am working on getting rehydrated. I pass a few bikes. I find myself going a bit faster than I had planned, but maybe its me pushing myself. During the flats, and hills, I spend time in the smal ring. During any kind of downhill, I go into the big ring, and find myself pushing 30 MPH, and passing bikes. It was about mile marker 6, the elite athletes of the next age group is passing me. Still feeling good.

The bike was pretty much uneventful, but going much faster than I had planned.

Bike- 33:46 (9th)

T2-

Rack the bike, take off the helmet. Take off the bike shoes, and put on running shoes. Grab my hat, and drink bottle. Off I go. As I go by the family, I throw them my water bottle.

T2- 1:09

Run-

Well here is where the wheels begin to come off the bus. Just after taking off, my legs are wobbly, and tired. I guess thats what happens when you ride faster than expected. At about mile marker 1, the first female passes me. She passes me like I am standing still.

The run is nothing but a struggle to gut out a finish. I need a drink, but at the firs****er station, I struggle to drink and run. So instead I decide to dump it on myself.

I begin to battle, and find the sign that says Finish line ahead. At this point, I am really happy. But as I turn to corner towards the finish line, I am greeted by more sand. The last section of running consisted of about 50 yards of sand.

Run- 27:17 (9th in my division)

Well I finished. I finished with a time of 1:14:49. Good for 9th in the clydesdale division. I do believe there was 18 people in my division. This time last year was good enough for 3rd place. Conditions today was good for some fast times. I finished 198th out of just under 400. The top guy finished in 54 minutes.

Overall, I am very happy with the finish. I feel I need to work on more bricks. I now know I can compete in these triathlons.

Was hoping to add some pictures, but my photographers has yet to send them to me. Something about being sleepy, and needing a nap.

Thanks for everyones encouragement.

Curt
Linn D.
on 7/6/08 8:36 am - Missoula, MT
Great job Curt!!! Just as I anticipated, a very interesting race report. It's funny that even doing bricks, it's just not the same as when you do a race.  I did notice that myself and was also surprised at the speed I ran.  Great pace, by the way!  Even with legs that felt like rubber!!! Congrats on a tru Sprint done, and here's to many more to come! Linn
Mifiremedic
on 7/6/08 11:59 pm - MI
Well I'm glad I could have entertained you with my story. I never thought of myself as being entertaining with my writing.

When I had done bricks in the weeks before this triathlon, I never seemed to have problems doing bricks. Maybe it was because I pushed myself harder on the bike.

Thanks
Deanna34
on 7/6/08 8:56 am - Salem, OR
Hurray!!!  I knew you would do great!!!  I'm so happy for you ... although totally offended that you didn't e-mail me!  What's up with that, mister???  Oh well, I'm still totally happy for you!  You're awesome!!!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Mifiremedic
on 7/6/08 11:59 pm - MI
Boo Hooo
Soft And Lovely
on 7/6/08 10:07 am - IL
WTG on your first full tri!!!  Thanks for the awsome and inspiring race report.  I hope you get to post pics at some point.  (darn those photographers and their annoying need for sleep)

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Mifiremedic
on 7/7/08 12:00 am - MI
I should have pictures up some time tomorrow.

Thanks
Cassie W.
on 7/6/08 10:37 am

Well, with this Firecracker under your belt, it's time to blow up all those lingering mental images of the 290-pound man once and for all.  Congratulations on a great race!   Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Mifiremedic
on 7/7/08 12:01 am - MI
Yes, I probbaly should forget the "Old" me, but its much harder to do.

MaryS
on 7/6/08 12:02 pm - Long Island, NY
Curt, Great job and a great report. Congratulations! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active