I want to do a marathon, New to this forum.

prek-3
on 7/6/08 5:17 am - Hollywood, FL
Hi everyone! I am planning on signing up for the Disney Minnie Marathon in May 2009. They haven't opened up the registration just yet.  I noticed alot of people here are runners , I am a walker. Anywhooooo, just wanted to ask how many around here have walked in any? I currently do about 17 minute miles (I know I need to be able to do 15 min. miles ). I do my longer miles for the weekends, so I can do them in the morning. I have to be at work at 6:30 a.m. so I have to exercise on my lunch break and  after work. Any tips for training appreciated. Thanks, Prek-3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Linn D.
on 7/6/08 5:37 am - Missoula, MT
I'm just one of many here who have done a marathon, but I didn't do it walking. Anyway, my best guess would be that the mileage would be about the same whether you run or walk.  There are lots of free online training plans.  The one I'm currently using I got from the New York City Marathon website.  My plan calls for base miles of 25 a week for a month before even starting the plan, but I know they also have one for beginners that starts with a 20-mile base.  Some races also offer free training plans when you sign up.  The Rock and Roll series do this. Other folks here have used books that they really like, which they will likely post the names of. Just like with running, one good way to improve your speed is to add periods of faster pace in with your workout.  Go for, say, 5 minutes at a faster pace, then 2 minutes at your regular pace.  Before you know it you can walk faster for longer. If you have more specific questions when you get started, I'm sure someone here will have, at the very least, an educated guess if not a good answer. Linn
prek-3
on 7/6/08 5:59 am - Hollywood, FL
Thanks Linn!       I've been reading the different posts around this forum and people seem pretty focused around here. I need that!Very motivational too.  I have dicovered I love and NEED exercise and I think I have found something I enjoy doing. Thanks again, Prek-3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Soft And Lovely
on 7/6/08 7:17 am - IL
With a quick Google I came across this one: http://www.marathonwalking.com/  I hope you'll post often and I hope you'll keep us posted on how it's going!

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

prek-3
on 7/6/08 7:29 am - Hollywood, FL
thank you! i am off to checkout your link!

Scott William
on 7/6/08 9:40 pm
The Disney races all have a 16 minute per mile limit.  That is about 3.8 MPH.  I have done 4 Disney races and they are all a blast.  Just keep trying to go farther and faster.  Do you have any specific questions?
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
prek-3
on 7/7/08 8:02 am - Hollywood, FL
Hi Scott!      I have been lurking a bit on this board and have visited your blog, once I saw those Disney pictures it helped to put a fire under me! I have been tossing the marathon idea around, and now I want to get it going.  I have always heard great things about the Disney ones. My husband registered us for the Disney Animal Park Family 5 K in January. And we are planning on doing the cancer one (I can't remember the name) in Orlando too I think it is in March . For a first timer, is a half marathon too lofty? I do about 4 miles now Monday - Friday about 17 -18 minutes . Sat & Sunday I do between 6 - 8 miles.  Any advice is much welcomed!!!!!! Prek-3

Scott William
on 7/7/08 3:04 pm
I think that for a 1/2 you should probably do at least 11 miles in training.  I would also do a few local 5 or 10K's just to get in the race mode.  It will help get rid of the pre race jitters. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active