exercise for one month after vsg?

larabair
on 7/5/08 10:24 pm - Troy, OH
Hi everyone! I joined this site out of support for my husband, who had the VSG the first week in June. (btw I absolutely LOVE it....so much information and support on here!!) My question is, what kind of exercising should he be doing at this point? He's still a little sore. He has been trying to walk several times a week, but has kind of sputtered out on that. He tried hitting some tennis balls around yesterday, and he was completely exhausted and so, so sore.  There's so much information from the surgeon's office about what he should be eating and drinking, but not too much help in the exercise department.   Before suggestions start coming, let me tell you that our schedule is completely insane, and free time is rare. We work opposite shifts, juggling our schedules and our three kids schedules, and I'm at a loss for ideas for him.  Thanks! Lara
MaryS
on 7/6/08 1:08 am - Long Island, NY
Lara, Pretty normal that he would be feeling pretty tired one month out from surgery.  I remember how exhausted I was after my surgery.  I think walking is the best thing right now to build up his endurance.  I did lots of walking in the early days.  It is about the easiest thing you can find to fit into a busy schedule.  He might also want to look for ways to get in some strength training once his surgeon says it is ok to do that.  You want to try and hold onto as much muscle as possible, especially in the early days of rapid weight loss. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Soft And Lovely
on 7/6/08 7:22 am - IL
X2 on the walking!  I think maybe anything more strenuous should start when his energy level increases.

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Rob S.
on 7/6/08 10:59 am - DE
Stick to walking and do it as much as possible.  As far as the time schedule, he needs to make time.  Exercise needs to become a job, and scheduled as such.  Otherwise it will always becomes optional.  The first year of surgery is an intense time, learning new diets, new ways to handle energy.  I believe the first year after the surgery you need to be a bit selfish to make sure you can develop your new lifestyle.  I'm not real familiar with the VSG, and I'm assuming your husband had open surgery to still be sore after a month, but his energy level should definitely be increasing.  Start with 15 minutes every day, and increase by 5 minute increments until you get up to fourty minutes. 
larabair
on 7/6/08 5:45 pm - Troy, OH
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice!! Lara
Most Active