Anyone have piriformis syndrome

rreiny
on 7/2/08 6:33 am - Epsom, NH
I think I know what my issue is.  I ran another 5K last Sunday and Monday Ihad, what I figured was sciatic pain. Ended up in the ER with a bunch of drugs.  Still hurts and this is day 8!  It bites.  I have another 5K on the 12th which Ithnk I have to bow out of.  However after going to regular dt. chiropractor and ER, they just prescribed more drugs.  I want answers -  not drugs.  Anyway, after internet searches I think the piriformis syndrome (or muscle) is the culprit.  My own fault, I had some things come up during the three weeks between races and managed to get two small runs in before the 5K.  Ran the race OK, it was hot and hilly, but OK.  Didn't stretch before and didnt' stretch after - thinking it was ONLY 3 miles.   All these stupid decisions run right along how the piriformis muscle activtates.  Luckily I found 2 stretches.   Has anyone had any issues like this - did the stretches work great - and were you able torun again soon (like two weeks later).  
Linn D.
on 7/2/08 9:31 am - Missoula, MT
If you can, I would recommend seeing a physical therapist familiar with sports injuries.  The orthopedic surgeon I occasionally see for my knees specializes in sports injuries and the clinic has several PT's on staff who also specialize in sports-related injuries. Linn
rreiny
on 7/3/08 4:20 am - Epsom, NH
Thanks Linn I made an appt to see a sports injury PT guy for the 10th - but my raceis the 12th and I don't think I will be doing it.  Damn!  Drugs are working and I found some great stretches which seem to help.  I am going to try a little, very slow, run tonight just to see how it goes.  I'll walk  if I have to - just to keep going.  Thanks for the advise.
Most Active